Sex toys

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
Osumilite
not a newbie
Pronouns: any

Sex toys

Unread post by Osumilite »

I have a few questions in regards to sex toys since I have no experience here.

1. What are some good online sites to buy them?

2. Are silent vibrators a thing? If not, what are good ways to muffle the sound? My walls are very thin, unfortunately.

3. Is there anything I generally should know before getting one?

4. Is it a bad idea to get sex toys if your parent might have a negative reaction to finding them?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Sex toys

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Osumilite,

1) I can't give you any specific site recommendations, but I will say that often people have better experiences buying from the online presence of smaller feminist and/or queer-run sex toy stores, because those actually go to the trouble of picking quality products and providing helpful information along with the listings for the toys.

2)There are definitely vibrators that are on the quieter side, and often a listing or review on a site to buy them will mention that as a feature. But you can also mask the sound of a toy with things like music or a white-noise machine. I actually like the suggestions in this piece about managing privacy concerns while masturbating: https://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexu ... rbating_at

3) my main recommendation here, other than making sure you know how to clean and store a toy you buy properly, is to do some expectation management. Sex toys and bodies are both so diverse that not every combination of the two will automatically (or ever) lead to some kind of mind blowing experience. The more you can treat it like exploration, the less frustrating a time you're likely to have.

4) If you think your parents might react badly to them, even if that's just a fight or being grounded or something like that, then it's usually a good idea to hold off on buying one. But that doesn't mean that you can't experiment with them! There are ways to explore them in a D.I.Y fashion that let them stay covert: D.I.Y. Sex Toys: Self-Love Edition
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic