Masturbating—How much is too much?

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
Licorice
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: asexual

Masturbating—How much is too much?

Unread post by Licorice »

I know it’s normal for people to masturbate, but is it possible to masturbate too frequently? I identify as asexual since the idea of sex with a partner is repulsive to me, and the things I fantasize about while masturbating aren’t inherently sexual in nature, but I do masturbate a lot. I do it at least once or twice a day as a form of stress relief, and sometimes up to ten times in a day if I’m feeling horny. I can’t help wondering if that’s typical or if it’s way more than other people.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Masturbating—How much is too much?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Licorice,

So, when we're talking about amount of masturbation, the times when it might be a cause for concern are if you're doing it compulsively rather than out of a desire to do it, or if masturbating is getting in the way of other things you need to do, like school, work, or even hobbies or spending time with friends. Or, in some cases, if masturbation is leading to physical discomfort because of how often you're doing it, that could also be cause for concern.

However, if you just find that some days you want to and have the time and energy to masturbate multiple times, that in and of itself isn't an issue. Masturbation frequency varies not only from person to person, but also for lots of people throughout their lives.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic