off-kilter

Questions and discussions about gender, gender roles and identity.
Gluggaveður
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I try.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: any
Sexual identity: greyromantic, sapphic, asexual, genderfluid

off-kilter

Unread post by Gluggaveður »

I am so freaking tired

last week was my first day of school and I introduced myself using my preferred name, passing it off as a nickname. now I'm scared my teachers will meet my parents or I'll meet a friend at the supermarket. the name doesn't even feel right for some reason. this is my first time using it with someone else and it just doesn't feel quite like I thought it would. maybe it's because I haven't specified I'm gender-nonconforming or because I'm still not out to my family but I feel like a liar and I hate feeling that way. I think all of this on top of my other stuff is just making my depression worse and I'm just not feeling great at all. school just started and I'm already sick of it. I can't sleep. I'm so tired

additional info: my parents are not transphobic, I just don't feel ready to come out yet. I'm not actively self-harming and I'm not planning on offing myself. if I do feel that way I will tell my parents and my therapist and I'll get the care I need

I'm just asking in case someone has any advice, about ill-fitting names or balancing worlds? if anyone's got just something comforting to say?
Amanda B
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm an excellent cook!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: still figuring it out

Re: off-kilter

Unread post by Amanda B »

Hi off-kilter,

I'll start by saying I'm glad to hear you have support from a therapist, and that your family will be ready to support you when you feel ready to come out. Do you have any friends or trusted people who you are out to? It may be helpful to talk to them about this as well.

It totally makes sense that there's some anxiety around the introduction of this new name to the public. For whatever reason it doesn't feel quite right, it's okay to change it. I'm sorry this is contributing to your depression as well. Do you have any coping techniques that have worked in the past when you've felt this way?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic