Nexplanon

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Sunflower12345
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Nexplanon

Unread post by Sunflower12345 »

Hi! So I talked to my gynecologist and I now have an appointment schedule in around two weeks to get my nexplanon implant. I am really excited about this however, I'm also nervous about the possible side effects specifically the mood swings and the weight gain. Mental health and weight have always been a struggle for me but I recently have gotten access to resources that help out with both, however, I'm scared that getting an implant might set back the progress I've made in each. I'm wondering how common these side effects are and whether it's really as bad as people make it out to be.

Thank you so much!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Nexplanon

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Sunflower12345,

Hooray for getting a method you're excited about!

Predicting which side effects someone will experience is always tricky, because it depends on how the method acts with your, specific body. For instance, looking at the information on Nexplanon's site, weight gain is listed as a frequent, rather than a "most common" potential side effect. That's not exactly a precise description.

Have you spoken with the healthcare provider who prescribed you this method about your concerns? If so, how did that conversation go? Too, if one of the resources you're accessing for your mental healthcare is a therapist, the two of you could talk about the fact you're starting a method of birth control that can affect mood and discuss ways to factor that in to your mental healthcare plan.
Sunflower12345
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Sunflower12345 »

Thank you so much for the reply and the advice! My gynecologist basically told me that the side effect I most likely will experience is irregular periods and if I'm ok with that then nexplanon will probably work for me. However, I will make sure to bring up the other side effects I learned about at my next appointment to make sure that the implant is the right move.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're very welcome! And bringing those concerns up at your next visit sounds like an excellent plan. You deserve to be able to talk through them with your provider as part of the process of getting birth control.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic