Cautious about herpes!

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Eta
Awesomeness Quotient: Good at art
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Cautious about herpes!

Unread post by Eta »

Hi all,
I'm in a long term monogamous relationship and we are each other's first sexual partners. Although neither of us have cold sores I know that it is possible to transmit oral herpes to the genitals via oral sex. Is it ok for us to start having unprotected oral sex? How would I go about ensuring our safety/checking this out?
Many thanks!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Cautious about herpes!

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Eta,

The best way to protect against transmission is to just keep having protected oral sex, either with a condom or a dental dam. You can read about transmission and testing in more detail here: The STI Files: Herpes
HsurNiarb
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am open minded, honest, and kind!
Primary language: English, please.
Pronouns: They/Them unless otherwise specified. (Gender flui
Sexual identity: Pansexual, methinks.

Unread post by HsurNiarb »

Personally, the moment I was of age and could have my own health choices, I asked my doctor for a quick STI testing panel. Just a bit of blood and a urine sample, and now I am pretty sure that I don't stand a risk of giving my partner any bugs.

That doesn't make you immune to STI's, though! If you can, ask your partner to get tested as well. Worst comes to worst, you will be able to work on handling any STI's safely.

Of course, these tests do cost a bit of money, and require an adult's consent if you're under a certain age. Like Sam W said, however, the safest way to keep from transmitting infection is to use protection. If anything else, that will reduce the risk the most.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Just a quick correction: in most areas, STI testing and other sexual healthcare for a legal minor does NOT require the consent of an adult.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic