IUD All the Questions!

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
burtony
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

IUD All the Questions!

Unread post by burtony »

Hi! I want to get the Paraguard IUD and I was hoping for some other peoples personal experience with Paraguard! I was also wondering how quick the process of getting one is start to finish. I know I have to have an exam to make sure I'm healthy and able bodied but I was wondering how fast I can get it inserted after that? I want to have the insertion as soon after the exam as possible so I dont chicken out

Also how is the pain during insertion? Like on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst-like screaming and cursing, how bad is it?

Any personal testemonials would be so appreciated.

And as far as payment goes how much is the cost? I make about 80 dollars a week right now and am not, myself, insured. I know Wisconsin offers some medical coverage that I qualify for that would help cover costs of some things, but I know the whole thing going on with Planned Parenthood affects funding and that has me nervous about what services I will be able to obtain
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: IUD All the Questions!

Unread post by Heather »

I can't speak to any of this as someone who has had an IUD, but I can as a contraceptive counselor with a lot of experience.

IUD insertion shouldn't be big-painful: most people with insertions are going to be under a 4 on the pain scale. The area is numbed with a local anesthetic, so figure you're probably talking more about momentary discomfort, not pain, kind of like a pap smear. Some people do experience more pain than others, either at the insertion or for a day or two after, but there's not a lot of predicting there, since people's pain thresholds are so different.

This piece from Dr. Jen Gunter (who is seriously awesome) might help fill you in more with that: https://drjengunter.wordpress.com/2013/ ... -the-pain/

And the process of the insertion just takes a few minutes. Typically, you won't have an insertion the same day as your consultation: you'll make an appointment after that, usually that's timed (when possible) within the first week of a period.

Planned Parenthood is still a sliding scale clinic system, based on your income. To find out exactly what it will cost for you, you'll need to talk to the clinic you're going to go to directly. What's going on with what some of the government is trying to do isn't a done deal: the House alone can't do anything, anything they pass still has to get past the Senate, and that hasn't happened. So, by all means, what's happening politically is scary, but it's a possibility at this point, not something that has yet occurred.

Too, when it comes to pain, what you can do to be psychologically comfortable will always make a big difference. So, be sure to ask all of these questions of your provider, too: just having those conversations where you're going to have this done, and establishing a relationship with that provider is going to go better than trying to front load all of this and then just go in there and kind of suck it up, you know?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
burtony
not a newbie

Unread post by burtony »

Thank you for that article, wow its also really well written!! I felt better until I read the stories in the comment section, which I probably shouldn't do anyways! Why is the internet a magnet for untrue horror stories??

I should just plan on NOT reading any testimonials because they could be written by the same folks who write stories on hair dye blogs about losing all their hair from blue hair dye.

I scheduled an appointment for Tuesday at Planned Parenthood so I'll talk to them then and get all my questions out there.
And I'm really glad you clarified about the stuff going on with Planned Parenthood, its hard to find reliable sources of information with that.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

IME, people are often very hungry for attention and validation. This, the comments section of just about anything. :P

And yes, that sounds wise to me. No method of contraception does not have both fans and detractors, but more people usually show up to post in the latter camp because the other folks are too busy being happy to sit online and post about it!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
burtony
not a newbie

Unread post by burtony »

Okay so I have another question! I have known, ever since I can remember, that I really really positively don't want to give birth to a child. I don't want children. And considering that most of my family (two uncles and my father) were adopted, as well as spending time volunteering in Uganda at an orphanage, I know if I changed my mind I would have no problem or mental distress over adopting a child, if I really did change my mind.

So what are the rules with female sterilization? I have been saying I want to be sterilized even before I was dating or sexually active and its always met with "oh you'll meet a guy, fall in love, and change your mind" to which I usually get really hot and angry, because just because a woman CAN give birth doesnt mean we all want that. And it doesnt mean we will all regret it or change our minds if we choose permanent sterility.

I just really don't like babies, pregnancy, childbirth, or the idea of having a "family" (even though that word just means the people you love, but it seems like its only applied to people with children, or who want children).

I am so frustrated by how paternalism is pushed on all girls. But I digress, how do I look into sterilization?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I'd start right at Planned Parenthood where you were going to go anyway! I don't believe they do sterilizations, but they should have a list of local providers who do.

Then you'll make some calls to those, and I would just start by asking if they have a minimum age they only tend to okay. Some do, others don't. For those who don't, you can ask more questions from there.
burtony
not a newbie

Unread post by burtony »

Sounds good! I feel oddly hopeful, I'm hoping the positive mindset will make good things happen. I wanted to ask you also, about condom use. If a condom fails is it obvious to the user? That I would know it broke or slipped? I feel nervous about using a condom and it failing without me knowing it. I have read other things about pin holes in condoms or using one once and still getting pregnant. Can I be confident if I use a condom and it doesnt break that it did its job and I am safe?

Thanks for all the question answering!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Can you do me a solid and use the search function for the main site (our site, which doesn't include urban legends like "pin holes" and also addresses the fact that people can become pregnant using ANY method of contraception with one incident of sex) for some of these questions? We ask everyone to do that first, in the registration agreement, before bringing questions to direct services, and a question like this is something you can easily find the answer to by searching the site yourself.

Thanks! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic