UTI Testing confusion?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Lanakins
not a newbie
Primary language: English

UTI Testing confusion?

Unread post by Lanakins »

Not sure if you guys can help me, but I will call my health clinic to make sure when they're open.
im NOT asking for a diagnosis, because it's only vaginal burning and i suspect its irritation now.

for the past 3-4 days i've experienced what I think was a UTI. I went to my health clinic to get tested for it. The nurse explained how to do the urine test but i kind of blocked her out because i know how to pee in a cup.

But NOW i recall her saying to pee in the toilet, THEN collect the urine, and finish urinating.

THIS WAS MY FIRST MORNING URINE. I literally held my pee from 8:30 p.m. at night until 12:00 pm today at the time of my appointment (15 hours?) I figured this was a good move since i know FMU is good for pregnancy testing, i thought it might be good for UTI testing too?

I cleaned my genital area, and peed in the cup first, then in the toilet, and peed a little more in the cup.

I got tested for a UTI and she said all was Negative. No white blood cells, No protein, no glucose.

My urine sample will be sent as a culture to see if it grows bacteria.

my question is would me peeing in the cup first give me a false negative? or is that more of a false positive measure?
and if it was negative then it's truly negative?

If you can help me, THANK YOU :D
if this is out of your experience, then I will call my health clinic
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: UTI Testing confusion?

Unread post by Mo »

Hi Lanakins,

A "clean catch" test is commonly used for UTI testing; the idea behind it is that it keeps any bacteria that might be on your skin from being flushed out by your initial urination and contaminating in the sample. It might give you a false positive, but it sounds like nothing suspicious showed up on your test. You could definitely call in to double-check if you like (and if you notice the burning continuing, that's a good idea anyway!) but this doesn't sound like a problem to me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic