Copper IUD, Mooncup, Abnormal Bleeding

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
juloseo

Copper IUD, Mooncup, Abnormal Bleeding

Unread post by juloseo »

Hi,
So I got the copper coil (IUD) in December 2013 and initially there was a bit of concern because I'm young, haven't been pregnant and already had heavy periods etc. Since getting it, my periods have got heavier, but the past year, have started following a fairly regular pattern and I've been happy with it generally. Usually, I get light spotting and cramps for two days, then a few days of heavy bleeding which gradually tapers off/lightens. At the end of my period, I have a day where I don't bleed at all but the two days after, I experience a bit of spotting again - which I've never worried about because I've heard similar things from other IUD users and just assume it is my body readjusting to the IUD.
Now last month, my period came a few days late, on the 14th July, and it followed its usual pattern, ending on the 20th July. I didn't have any spotting afterwards until a week later (27th July), when I began to get spotting and pain. This bleeding and pain has lasted until now and doesn't seem to be stopping, and the past two days (2nd and 3rd August) the bleeding has got much heavier and more like my usual menstrual periods, accompanied by some pretty bad cramps. At first I thought it might be ovulatory bleeding but I've read that that wouldn't last more than a day or two. The only thing different about this period was that I used a menstrual cup for the first time, I thought that perhaps the suction might have dislodged the coil but I have checked my IUD and the strings are still in place and I also can't feel the plastic stem so it doesn't seem to have expelled. I'm on holiday at the moment so I can't see a doctor either... But I'm completely freaking out about it and have no idea what it could be? Does anybody have any suggestions?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Copper IUD, Mooncup, Abnormal Bleeding

Unread post by Heather »

Can you give me an idea of how severe -- or not -- this pain is? Like, on a scale of 0 to ten, with ten being the worst pain imaginable (like, a giant truck has not just run you over, but it's still sitting on your abdomen)?

Can you also tell me if you're currently sexually active, or have recently been, and if so, if that was protected per safer sex (condoms), and if you're current with your STI screenings and other preventative sexual healthcare?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
juloseo

Unread post by juloseo »

Heather wrote:Can you give me an idea of how severe -- or not -- this pain is? Like, on a scale of 0 to ten, with ten being the worst pain imaginable (like, a giant truck has not just run you over, but it's still sitting on your abdomen)?

Can you also tell me if you're currently sexually active, or have recently been, and if so, if that was protected per safer sex (condoms), and if you're current with your STI screenings and other preventative sexual healthcare?
The pain isn't severe, it's just like my usual menstrual cramps, probably a 3 or 4 at worse. I've only had to take pain killers once.

I am currently sexually active but have always used condoms with my partner and neither of us have engaged in sexual activity with anyone else before each other. I haven't been screened for STI's recently though.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Okay. So, my best guess is that this is just the extra bleeding and cramping that can happen with the copper IUD, and is a known common side effect.

Ideally, you'd either see or call into your doctor with these concerns. But if you can't do either, and don't want to see a healthcare provider where you are, there really isn't anything else to do here but wait this out and see and, should it continue, see your doctor -- or any doctor -- when you can.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
juloseo

Unread post by juloseo »

UPDATE: So the bleeding stopped on the 7th August, yet now I'm 5 days late for my period and I don't even have any PMS symptoms :? I've taken a pregnancy test which was negative, so I'm starting to think that the spotting/bleeding may have been a weird early period that's messed up my cycles even though it was much lighter than my usual periods...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic