Mirena IUD and breast pain

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Emm429

Mirena IUD and breast pain

Unread post by Emm429 »

Hi! I have the Mirena IUD and really quite like it. Have had it for 2 years and have had no problems. However this month has been odd. Last week I started having pretty painful breasts... Mostly my nipples. I know nothing's 100%.... So yeah of course I thought pregnancy right away. Took a couple pregnancy tests and they were negative. That was a couple days ago and I'm still hurting. I've been looking online and notice that painful breasts can be a symptom of birth control, but this hasn't happened to me in the couple of years I've had the IUD. Does anyone here have one and have stuff like this happen? This is really the first time I've felt worried since I've gotten it! I might call my doctor tomorrow and see what she says too. Thank you.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Mirena IUD and breast pain

Unread post by Karyn »

Side effects of birth control can happen any time, it's just that they're most common and tend to be more noticeable when you first start using a method. It isn't impossible that this is due to your IUD, but breast pain/tenderness can happen for a bunch of different reasons, and since it sounds like you're in quite a bit of pain, checking in with a doctor is definitely a good idea.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Emm429

Unread post by Emm429 »

Thanks. I'll give them a call today.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

You're welcome. Hope you figure out what the problem is!
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic