Confusion about EC?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
minori96
Awesomeness Quotient: My love
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Confusion about EC?

Unread post by minori96 »

Hello :) I'm just wondering how emergency contraception works? I've read it's most effective before ovulation but I was wondering is it effective after ovulation? Because I had unprotected sex using the withdrawal method on the 19th day of my cycle and then I took Postinor-2 within 24hrs after the encounter. Will the pill work? I've been getting some on and off light cramps, so it's been troubling me a little. A little uneasy here and there. How long does the side effects of emergency contraception lasts? :|
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Confusion about EC?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi minori,

You can read all about how EC does it's job here:
Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)

Just an aside about ovulation, unless you are charting your cycle in a way that involves taking temperature and checking cervical mucous, you're not actually able to tell where you are in your cycle. If you'd like, we have some info on the main site about how to track effectively.

Is there a particular reason you're only using withdrawl? Because if you're concerned about pregnancy, you'll want to consider more effective birth control options.
minori96
Awesomeness Quotient: My love
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by minori96 »

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the article, I went through it twice. Does this mean, EC does work after ovulation?

Also, I would like the info for tracking fertility effectively. I do check by cervical mucous but never by taking temperature. I do wonder, are safe days calculators online considered trustworthy?

About using only one method of birth control, it was a reckless decision that I am ashamed of making. We didn't have condoms at the time. :( I'll definitely use the buddy system and all forms of birth control in the future.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi minori,

Yes, if that article does not mention ovulation as a factor, then it is not one.

Here's the info on how to track your cycle: Get With the Flow: All About FAM

With online trackers, it really depends on if they have you track all the things that article says that you should.

Ah, okay, I just wanted to check. And yep, the buddy system is a good idea in the future :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic