Title X and IUD's

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
musicalnoise
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Title X and IUD's

Unread post by musicalnoise »

Hi! I am 21 and want to get an IUD [Mirena or Skyla]. I am currently still under my parents insurance so contraception is covered. However, I do not want this to show up on the EOB that will be sent because my parents are against birth control and sex if it isn't between a man and a woman in marriage. I know that some insurance companies can send the EOB to a different address but I'm afraid it will still show up online. Would I be covered under Title X if i go to a Title X clinic even though I technically have insurance, but I just can't use it?
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Re: Title X and IUD's

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Musicalnoise,

I volunteer from outside the USA, so perhaps someone else can shed more light on this. However, I was wondering if you have a clinic in mind which is Title X, do they have any information on their website or which they could give you over the phone? It may also be that all clinics wouldn't have exactly the same provisions, so finding out what that specific clinic asks for could be a really good first step.

How does that sound?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
musicalnoise
not a newbie
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by musicalnoise »

I do have a clinic in mind that is title X but they don't have any information online. I guess I need to call them. I feel weird and that I would be "taking advantage" of the system since I technically do have insurance though. Do they usually care?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

You are only likely to qualify for reduced fees or no-cost care as an adult if you do not have (not don't want to use, but don't have) insurance coverage, so unless you were dishonest about having it - and hopefully you wouldn't be, as yes, that would be exploiting systems for people with less privilege - it's basically built in so it can't be taken advantage of.

However, people who have coverage they do not want to use always do have the option of using a clinic like this, and simply paying out of pocket (likely at full cost).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic