Ob/Gyn Help!

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Ob/Gyn Help!

Unread post by Heather »

Did you click on the link above? That's the link to that tool and will walk you right through it.

Per making sure you are alone -- that your mother doesn't come with you -- in the exam room, you have a few options:
1) You can ask her -- probably best to do right as you are about to go into your exam, since she'll be less likely to pitch a fit in front of people than at home -- to wait for you in the waiting room while you have your exam.
2) You can go up to the receptionist and tell them you want a private exam, so ask them to leave a note for whoever calls you in to ask your mother to wait in the waiting room when they take you in.
3) If you do neither and she comes with you, when the doctor comes in, you can say out loud you'd like your mother to please step outside while you have your exam.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
niayuki
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Imperfection Is Beautiful
Primary language: English or Spanish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: heterosexual

Unread post by niayuki »

I just began reading the link above, I'm using my phone to reply so it's way different than using a computer.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll let her know right when they call me. She might also be busy because my brother also has an appointment the same day with the same doctor.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Perfect. And if you have concerns about this doctor sharing any of your information with her, you can just ask them, before you say ANYTHING else, what their confidentiality polices are.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
niayuki
not a newbie

Unread post by niayuki »

I just read the link and I think I've decided that the combined pill might work best for me. Let's see what the doctor says this week :)

I'll make sure I ask right before anything is asked by her, thank you.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Happy to help. :)
niayuki
not a newbie

Unread post by niayuki »

I just got out of my appointment, everything went great!

The doctor gave me birth control and pain killers. I also had to get blood taken because they believe my period might have caused me anaemia, today in the afternoon I should get my results. Thank you for everything. :D
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

That's such great news! :D Thanks so much for sharing it.
niayuki
not a newbie

Unread post by niayuki »

Hi Heather, I was reading the instructions for the pills but I don't seem to understand. I want to know when I should take the first pill and which pill it's suppose to be. Right now I'm on day two of my period and the doctor told me to start taking the pills the Sunday after my period started but I checked and this Sunday I'll still be on my period so I don't know if I'm suppose to take it this Sunday or next Saunday... As you can see I'm a bit confused on how this works.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

This is the Sunday! :) To start the pill best, you can EITHER:
- Start it on the very first day of a period, OR
- On the first Sunday after a period starts (so, this Sunday)

Which pill you start with will be the very first pill in your pack, which will usually be marked as one or day one. If that's still unclear, let me know which brand of pill it is and I can check for you. (Or, you can read the leaflet that comes with all pills, the patient instructions, and that should tell you.)
niayuki
not a newbie

Unread post by niayuki »

Thank you for the quick response!

I'm going to be using MonoNessa. Great so on Sunday I'll take the first pill but on Monday even though that's the day my period ends I still have to take the regular pills or the green ones in the center?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I'll go look that up for you, but while I do, can you read the patient information leaflet that came with your pills?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Okay: so you should have a yellow, round pack, where the pills are in a disc in the middle. On that disc, the active pills (the white ones) are on the outside, and the placebos (the green) are on the inside.

You'll see that first day, at the top of the pack (and on back, there is one small opening that'll allow a single pill to be punched out and dispensed)y, and has a white pill. When you take that, the next day, you'll move that disc counter-clockwise, so the next pill, for Monday, is the next white pill that'll be to the right of the empty spot where you took Sunday's pill. Then, each day, you just keep moving the pack one over like that, taking the next pill. Once you finish all those white pills, that's when you take the green ones, starting a new pack -- same way, with the while pills, moving one over each day -- when you are all done with the green ones.

Make sense?
niayuki
not a newbie

Unread post by niayuki »

Now it makes sense. The paper that came with the pill didn't explain it in a way I could understand, it's quiet confusing.

Thank you once again :)
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Happy to be of help!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic