I''ve been thinking of asking my mom about buying me a vibrator but I'm scared

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Nicholazz10
Pronouns: He/Him
Sexual identity: Bisexual

I''ve been thinking of asking my mom about buying me a vibrator but I'm scared

Unread post by Nicholazz10 »

I'm 13 and I've already been masturbating for quite a while and my mom knows this as we had some issues with it that I'm not going to discuss. I'm trans female to male as well (not medically transitioned). long story short I think I'm ready to try some sort of toy and I've figured out which one. It's not too expensive but has good reviews at a trusted local store. This isn't really my issue...like I said my mom knows I masturbate but I'm still scared to ask her for a toy as a lot of the time her reactions are unpredictable even if the topic is something she seemingly didn't mind one day and the next she hates it. you can never tell with her but I think it's better to ask her then my dad. I did think about buying it myself but however my mom cancelled my allowance and I have no way of earning my own money as my mom refuses to let me have my allowance back plus the store only lets you buy toy's if your 16 or over. I look older then my age but I don't think I pass the 16 mark just yet My only option is to ask her but again I have no clue what to expect
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: I''ve been thinking of asking my mom about buying me a vibrator but I'm scared

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Nicholazz10,

I agree that you'll want to go about getting the toy honestly, rather than trying to trick the store into thinking you're older than you are.

It can be really, really frustrating to feel like we don't have a good sense of how a parent will respond to something. With talking to your mom about this, what do her negative reactions tend to look like? In other words, if you were to ask her about this and it went badly, what are the likely outcomes?
catadora_m
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer, pansexual

Re: I''ve been thinking of asking my mom about buying me a vibrator but I'm scared

Unread post by catadora_m »

I’ve been in this exact situation before and honestly it went really well. I started masturbating when I was 15, and it was clear to my mom that it wasn’t going great, so after a while I implied to her that I wanted a vibrator. She said that she knows this was an awkward conversation but she thanked me for telling her and I should check my sock drawer in a few days. When it came, I just said thank you, and it wasn’t a super big thing. I think you just need to go for it, and if she does have a terrible reaction, maybe try making some yourself. I hope this helps!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic