Brownish/pinkish discharge

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
juliapf
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My sense of humor
Primary language: Portuguese
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bissexual

Brownish/pinkish discharge

Unread post by juliapf »

Hi!
I’ve been on the pill since 2020. Didn’t get any withdrawal bleeding in all of 2022 and almost all of 2023.
November, October and September of 2023 I had a pretty heavy flow (almost like an actual period) and some bad cramps.
I started the pill chart early in November (I was still bleeding, only took 2 of the placebo pills and started the new chart right after because I couldn’t handle the pain).
In December I did took all 4 of the placebo pills but did not had any bleeding whatsoever.
I started the other chart correctly and took it normally in January. The lack of bleeding (started to fear I was pregnant) profuse bleeding of the previous months had me scared me so I talked to my gyno about not taking the placebo pills and starting the charts right after the other and he said it was ok.
So I did, but about 3/4 days into the new chart I had some mild cramping and got some brown discharge that lasted for about 2 days.
At this point I thought it was okay, but then it became pinkier to the point of it being very much pink for a day or so (and a lot lighter than the brownish discharge) which FREAKED ME OUT because everywhere online said it was a sign of pregnancy.
Now I’ve just gotten brown discharge again in the same amount as before while having mild cramps. Is this normal? Could I be pregnant?
I haven’t had any other symptoms other than the discharge.
CaitlinEve
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Brownish/pinkish discharge

Unread post by CaitlinEve »

Hello juliapf!

It seems like you have a lot of anxiety surrounding this subject! Discharge coloration can definitely be concerning; let's try and see if we can break that down for you! Brown discharge isn't uncommon and can be a slower menstrual flow or a pre-period discharge color. Additionally, pink discharge can be from blood tinting your normal discharge, such as from spotting. Although discharge colors can have different meanings, this does NOT mean you are definitively pregnant. This article may help your anxiety regarding what constitutes normal discharge.

It sounds like maybe your body was thrown off a bit by the way you took your birth control and is trying to return to equilibrium. I see that you spoke to your gynecologist, it's great that you have that resource and feel comfortable talking to him. You mention that you've been on the pill since 2020, has that been consistent and have you been taking the placebos every month, or have you been skipping menstruation? It's also possible that your discharge is related to how you've been taking your birth control. Have you done anything since your last period that may pose a risk of pregnancy? That'll give us a better idea of what to focus on with your question! :D
juliapf
not a newbie

Unread post by juliapf »

Hi!
Thanks for the response, I had never skipped the placebo pills before and only this two times I have not taken them correctly.
I have had sex with my boyfriend after that, not a lot of times because of long distance but we did.
We usually start off without condoms to get him started but always use condoms right after.
StephR
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm great at solving riddles!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by StephR »

Hi Julia,

If you want to be sure that the condoms are protecting you from pregnancy and STIs, they need to be worn the entire time you have penis-in-vagina sex. Infections can still be transmitted without ejaculation happening, and although it is rare, pre-ejaculate can contain sperm cells. I recommend reading Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To for more info on how you and your boyfriend can practice safer sex. Also, having more knowledge about safer sex, and knowing you are doing everything you can to prevent pregnancy and STIs, will probably help you feel less anxious about those risks.

Do you think this is something you could talk to your boyfriend about and plan to do in the future?
juliapf
not a newbie

Unread post by juliapf »

This is definitely something we can talk about in the future, after this recent scare me and him agreed to use condoms (and lube, to keep it from tearing) the whole time.
My question here is, do I have to take a pregnancy test? I have a lot of anxiety around the idea pregnancy in general, because of my eating disorder, and have had horrible experiences with pregnancy tests in the past where I would keep taking new ones even with all of the results being negative.
If it’s a serious risk that I might me pregnant I will take the test, do you think this is the case?
Also, probably because of the anxiety surrounding by body brought because of this experience I have been feeling like my stomach is hardened and bloated.
At the same time I have lost even more weight since all of this started and currently have 108 ibs at 5’8, so this feeling of being bigger and bloated would not be new to my condition and probably a result of my ed.
Thanks for the help!
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

It's really up to you whether you want to take a test, especially since you know from past experiences that taking one doesn't seem to soothe your anxiety regardless of the answer you get.

If you need any tools for how to talk about contraception, safer sex, and boundaries with your boyfriend, those are for sure things we can provider you!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic