It Broke?!

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
raily_
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her

It Broke?!

Unread post by raily_ »

So I know I am irrational, but I need peace of mind. I take my birth control religiously. I have only been late to take a pill a total of three pills the entire year I’ve been taking them, and it was the next morning when I remembered to take them. I don’t take my “reminder pills,” but I do wait the week and always start that next Sunday on time. The only difference this month the the previous months of birth control is I am technically taking them an hour later than I normally do because of the time change. This month I have not missed or been late on pills, nor have I had any diarrhea or vomiting the few hours after taking the pill. I and my boyfriend have sex regularly, but to ease my anxiety, he either wears no condom and pulls out, or doesn’t pull out but puts on a condom halfway through. Tonight the condom broke, and we didn’t realize it, and he finished inside me. I am on my first day of placebo pills this week so yesterday was my last active pill. Do I have anything to worry about? I don’t need a plan b do I?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: It Broke?!

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi raily_,

From your description, it sounds like you should have full protection from your pill, in which case Plan B wouldn't be necessary; part of why we recommend the "buddy system" with birth control is for situations like this one where a method fails unexpectedly.

I will say that if you have anxiety around this, going forward it might make more sense to just stick to wearing condoms each time and the entire time , since they're more effective than withdrawal and give you protection from STIs on top of that. That does that sound like something you two can do?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic