having issues with swollen clitoris and loss of sensitivity

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
rn
Pronouns: She/her

having issues with swollen clitoris and loss of sensitivity

Unread post by rn »

Alright, I need to give some background first.
A couple days ago, after getting a bunch of very strong clitorial erections in the two days prior, I woke up with a swollen clitoris and a vulva which doesn't have any sensitivity whatsoever. It doesn't hurt though. I can still get wet (not much though) and my sex drive is still very high, the point is that I no longer feel any tingly sensation inside my vulva and my clitoris is still swollen. I had promised myself not to touch the area until it went back to normal, but the problem is that I'm addicted to masturbation (and that's a whole another can of worms). So, I'd like to know how to deal with this problem, if anyone has got any advice I appreciate it. Thanks!

P.S.: This could also be caused by severe constipation, which puts a lot of pressure on my pelvic floor. This is very likely.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: having issues with swollen clitoris and loss of sensitivity

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi rn,

So, with any body part, if it's swollen and that swelling isn't going away, especially after several days, the next step is to check in with a healthcare provider to see what's going on and if there's any underlying issue that needs addressing. Do you know how to access that kind of care where you live?

When you say you're addicted to masturbation, do you mean you do it often? Or are you finding yourself doing it when you don't actually want to (in other words, as a compulsion) or in a way that's interfering with other important things in your life?
rn

Unread post by rn »

Thanks for replying. I'm currently not old enough to seek medical help independently, so I would have to discuss this problem with at least one of my parents, but I don't know how. I think my mother is going to schedule an obgyn visit for me, but as a general check-up, so that could be an opportunity. I still want to wait for another couple of days because it's been improving, but at the same time I know I shouldn't underestimate other issues such as loss of sensitivity.
As for the second question, masturbation feels more of a compulsion to me: it feels as automatic as eye blinking and it has been impacting my life in several negative ways.
Thank you for giving me the input I needed, I'm gonna seek help as soon as possibile. Have a good day/night.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Got it. If you notice it's not improving or is in fact getting worse, or there start to be other symptoms like pain, that would be a time to prioritize getting care. If you want to ask your mom about getting it looked at now or in the next few days, we can certainly talk about how to have that conversation in a way that feels manageable.

As far as masturbation goes, have you ever had issues with compulsive behavior more generally? And if so, have you ever gotten any kind of mental health support or similar around it?
rn

Unread post by rn »

Yes, I definitely have to tell her directly. I could start mentioning that I've been feeling dry down there in the last couple days, and then let her decide how to solve the problem. Would that be effective?

Regarding compulsive behavior, I've been having issues with it for as long as I can remember, but the good thing is that today I'm having my first appointment with a psychologist so I'm on the right track.
Anyway, thank you so much for your support.
Last edited by rn on Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Glad to hear you're seeking out support for the compulsive behavior, that's a great step in taking care of yourself!

And yes, saying you notice dryness or other discomfort could be a good way of explaining what's going on to your mom. If you felt comfortable doing so, you could also just say you've noticed swelling; that alone is enough detail to indicate something might be up that needs addressing.
rn

Unread post by rn »

Okay, that's what I'm going to do. Thanks for the advice, it has been very helpful.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You're very welcome!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic