Sexual Health Check Up

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
T!lly
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: N/A
Sexual identity: Hetrosexual

Sexual Health Check Up

Unread post by T!lly »

What happens? Types of questions? Do I always need to undress?

I heard a doctor/nurse may need to do a swap near the urethra. Isn't that painful?
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: Sexual Health Check Up

Unread post by Siân »

Hi!

We've got a whole article diving into exactly those kinds of details right here: Testing, Testing...

Basically, they'll usually start with asking a bit about your sexual history things like how many people you've had sex with in the last 3/6 months, the kinds of sex you had and whether you are practicing safer sex. Then they'll do the actual tests which - depending on where you go and what they're testing for - can include a urine and blood sample, and yes, sometimes a urethral swab which can be uncomfortable.

Generally, if you have no symptoms the person doing the checkup won't ask you to undress, unless they are doing a swab. Many places now do urine samples instead now, so you can always ask when you're booking an appointment what to expect. In some places, the local sexual health services are sending out free DIY tests in the posts if you don't have symptoms.

Is there a particular risk you are concerned about?
T!lly
not a newbie
Pronouns: N/A
Sexual identity: Hetrosexual

Unread post by T!lly »

Just about the urethral swab really. If it has to be done, then it's better to be safe then sorry, right. :) Thank you for the info.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Yep, better safe than sorry is definitely the approach I'd recommend you take if it turns out a urethral swab is needed. The discomfort is generally pretty short-lived, so even if it's not the best experience it shouldn't cause you any sort of long-lasting pain, and I think it's worth it so that you can have those test results.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic