Nexplanon and periods

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
LanaWinters
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I love helping others
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Nexplanon and periods

Unread post by LanaWinters »

My last period before my nexplanon was on Oct 17th
I got my nexplanon inserted on November 5th this year.
I was suppose to start my period on the 14th of this month but my doctor told me not to rely on it since the main side effect of Nexplanon is irregular periods.
My period didn't arrive on the 14th of this month (I was relieved since I hate my period)
On the 21st of this month, I had some spotting only when I wiped and I didn't think anything of it since Nexplanon can cause spotting.
Later on throughout the day it started to get heavier and on my pad, I saw what looked liked some thick tissue...
I actually touched it, and it was sort of thick and almost hard to rip apart, is this my lining shedding?
and I don't know if this is HEAVY spotting, or a VERY LIGHT period.
and also, if i'm having a withdrawal bleed, does that mean my nexplanon isnt working? (it's only been two weeks since the insertion)
I can understand that my body is just getting used to this birth control, I've never tried any other BC method, this is my first!

Why do some people still have a period while on nexplanon? Does that mean that they did ovulate and the nexplanon didn't work?
I have an appointment next week to check up on the insertion site to make sure it didn't get infected, so i'll make sure to ask these questions also.
I'd just like to have some answers right now :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Nexplanon and periods

Unread post by Heather »

Long story short, all of our endocrine systems are not exactly the same, and same goes for our reproductive systems. Methods, like yours, that can result in lighter, shorter, or suppressed periods do not have those same impacts on everyone, or even one person all the time, because our bodies just are not all the same. And no, having withdrawal bleeding does not mean ovulation occurred nor that your method is any less effective.

We can't somehow know what this bleeding is, but if you are current with your general sexual healthcare, including screenings for STIs, then there is no cause for concern, nor any reason to assume it is anything but a withdrawal bleed or spotting as a side effect of the method.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
LanaWinters
not a newbie

I had a pap smear and STI screening before getting the implant and all came back negative for STI's.
I have no had any sexual contact since my last scare that i posted on here (september?)
I''m not really worried about it, i read that I only should be if im having severe pain or clots size of golf balls.
this flow isn't even really spotting onto my pad, it's only mostly when I wipe. but now and then it will spot.
I have one more question and if you guys cant answer, i understand and il make sure i'll ask when I see my gyno
i'm left handed, so the implant had to be inserted on my right arm.
does it really matter which arm the implant is inserted on?
or is it more because they want to insert it on the arm that is less dominant to reduce pain and pressure after the insertion?
I ask because although i'm left handed, I sometimes use my right arm for other things like cutting, blow drying hair, etc.
thank you!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

It doesn't matter, and for those with a dominant hand, that one is usually not chosen for exactly the reasons you mentioned.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
LanaWinters
not a newbie

Makes a lot more sense now!
Thank you Heather :D
If I have any more concerns i'll make sure to post
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic