Scared I've come in contact with HPV

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
worrygirl19

Scared I've come in contact with HPV

Unread post by worrygirl19 »

Last night, I gave oral sex to a male acquaintance. About halfway through, I noticed a small, flesh colored bump on his shaft - it was roughly 1 millimeter in size, smooth, and fairly flat. I didn't say anything because I was embarrassed, and it was too late; I'd already come in contact with it.

Now I'm panicking. Does this sound like HPV/a genital wart? It doesn't really look like any of the photos of warts I found on the Internet, and most of the photos showed clusters of warts, whereas I only saw one thing on his penis.

What should I do? I only gave him oral; there was no other sexual contact otherwise. Thank you!
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Scared I've come in contact with HPV

Unread post by Johanna »

Welcome to Scarleteen, worrygirl19.

Since we are neither doctors, nor have we seen what you saw, we cannot make any calls on whether or not it could have been HPV. One thing you can do to find out is to talk to your acquaintance. Mind, if he knew he had HPV and did not tell you, that would have been very crappy of him. However, since there is no test for HPV in men, he might have HVP and not know it even if he is getting tested regularly. Still, talking to him is a good first step - maybe he has already had that bump checked out and knows that it's not something to worry about.

If you do not feel comfortable having that conversation with him, or if you do not get any satisfactory answers, what you've left to do is go see a doctor. Mind, regular reproductive health care, including STI testing, is important for someone who is sexually active, so if you have not started that yet, now is an excellent time to do so.

Here is an article with some more information on HPV: The STI Files: Human Papillomavirus (HPV)

And here's also some information for you for the future, so you can do your best to avoid risky situations like this:
Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic