Timing of pregnancy test with irregular periods

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
eric_california

Timing of pregnancy test with irregular periods

Unread post by eric_california »

Hello,

I am wondering about the minimum time post-intercourse that a home pregnancy test could be expected to give accurate results (in the case of irregular periods).

In the past on these message boards, I have read 10-14 days post-risk as the gold standard. The following page says at least 14 days: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/pregn ... ancy_tests

However, this page says 3 weeks are necessary for accuracte results: http://www.scarleteen.com/the_pregnancy ... _irregular

I hope this question does not violate the pregnancy question policy. I am trying to use the other resources but they have somewhat conflicting information, so I would greatly appreciate clarification. Thank you.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Timing of pregnancy test with irregular periods

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi eric,

The appropriate amount of time to be taken after intercourse depends on the directions for the specific test that a person bought, so the way to know when to test is for the person testing to check the directions and determine how long after the incident they need to wait.
eric_california

Unread post by eric_california »

Unfortunately I have read the instructions and it only lists the accuracy in terms of number of days from a woman’s period (e.g., 4 days before expected period, day after missed period, etc.). Because my girlfriend’s periods are irregular (they may not come for 6 months), this way of calculating has no value for us.

We are trying to figure out the number of days to wait after intercourse for an average home pregnancy test. I have seen both 14 days and 3 weeks listed on Scarleteen.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Personally, I’d go ahead and wait three weeks. Or, you can get a couple tests, test at 2 and redo at 3 if she still hasn’t had a period by then.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic