My first sex toy

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Chimichanga
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

My first sex toy

Unread post by Chimichanga »

Hi!

Ok so Imma be real. I haven't had the smoothest relationship with masturbation. Most of the times, my sexual drive get's easily turned off during masturbating. But lately, I've been quite interested in penetration. I've only ever done clitoral stimulation and fingers are annoying. I'm not 18 but I will be soon. There's a designated sex shop but it's not very close to me and it's 18+. I thought I'd wait till I'm 18 to purchase a dildo or something, but it's kinda overwhelming jumping into a store like that with so many options. But I have a drug store nearby with some toys I never really understood. Is it even worth considering over a designated sex toy shop? Should I just wait? I'm also even shy of trying to purchase at the drug store and being asked my age and/or having an awkward occurence. I looked at your diy sex toys and thought maybe I should use a vegetable lol. But I don't know how to choose condoms and again, afraid of awkward occurrence. And overall, being found out cuz my mom goes into my room a lot without asking me. I mean, sometimes she just looks and sometimes she looks in the closet. IDK. I'm probably gonna repeat some things here in another message for self assurance. Thanks!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: My first sex toy

Unread post by Heather »

There are two main things a good sex toy shop can offer you: variety in your choices and help finding the toys that are most likely to be what you actually want. Since good (and safe) toys aren't often inexpensive, that's a big deal.

However, there's no age limit for things a drug store sells, so the concern about being carded is something you don't have to worry about.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Chimichanga
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Unread post by Chimichanga »

Thanks for that reassurance! Are drug store toys ok safety wise though or is that not an issue and the only difference would be in variety?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Drug store options should be safe, although as we mention in the D.I.Y article there are some safety considerations with certain items (for example, don't use a Hitachi Magic Wand in the bath because it's plugged in). And yep, you're going to have less variety in items to choose from in a drug store.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic