Skipped my period for the first time...

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
misslilahj
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my heart
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

Skipped my period for the first time...

Unread post by misslilahj »

Hello there,
I have a concern. I have been taking combination birth control pills for about 4 years now. I usually always take my inactive pills but I was going on vacation during my “period” week so I decided to skip it for the very first time ever.
I took my last active pill of the pack last Saturday and immediately began a new pack the next day. I haven’t missed a pill and I’ve been very consistent as usual. I’ve noticed today that I had some spotting a couple of days ago but it went away but it came back yesterday only this time it only seems like it’s getting worse. It’s almost like a mini period.
I’m not sure what to do in this situation so I was hoping you guys could help. Is this normal? Should I just keep taking them as usual? Will it go away? But most important am I at risk for getting pregnant now?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Skipped my period for the first time...

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi misslilahj,

While we can't say for certain what's causing the spotting, it's likely that your body is reacting to skipping the placebo week of the pill. This should not decrease the effectiveness of your pill and you should continue to take your pill as normal. Did you consult with a healthcare provider before skipping the placebo week?
misslilahj
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my heart
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

Unread post by misslilahj »

Yes, I actually did. My gyno has suggested that I skip my period every other month in order to reduce the amount of headaches I experience because I get migraines every time I start my inactive pills. I've just never done it because I enjoy the mental comfort I experience from having a period every month. Is there any way to know how long it will last, because it still has not stopped.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Got it. There isn't really a way to predict when this will stop, because it depends on how long it takes your body to adjust to this new pill schedule.

Was the fact that the mental comfort of having a period is important to you brought up when you talked with your gynecologist? And, if you're currently sexually active with a partner, are you comfortable with the level of sexual activity you're engaging in?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic