Combined Birth Control Side Effect? Kind of Out of the Ordinary?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
35534227s
Awesomeness Quotient: Being low maintenance
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Combined Birth Control Side Effect? Kind of Out of the Ordinary?

Unread post by 35534227s »

Hi. I'm a girl in her late teens who is currently off birth control.

However, during the first day on the 3rd week of my birth control I had sex without additional contraception and I was still taking my pills for 7 days. A week after I felt a sudden abdominal pain that was so painful it made me sweat and nauseous but I didn't vomit. And for 2 days after, I was having stomach cramps. After all of that my upper stomach feels somewhat tight/hard and I've been feeling muscle twitches everywhere on my stomach and lower back, sometimes even cramps on my lower abdomen and my lower back now and I've been gagging all the time now too. A few days after, I stopped taking my birth control pills after all of that but it's still happening and I've been like this for 2 weeks now.

It could be because I wasn't eating at the right time and I wasn't eating enough during those times. But what I don't understand is why did I experience something so painful and why did it happen during the 4th week of being on the pills? ( I took the pills back to back btw, maybe that could also be a reason.)

It's impossible that I'm pregnant because I was taking the pill daily and I've probably missed one once or twice but not consecutively. I never had to take two pills in one day (except for that one time that I thought I had diarrhea and took 3 pills but turns out I didn't have it. :lol: but that was during the 2nd week of my COCs. ) The only latest I've ever taken a pill was most probably 13-14 hours late within the day I was supposed to take it. And I've already done a hpt and it came out negative.

Could this be a side effect? It seems really out of the ordinary because I've been looking up common experiences from other women on google but I can't seem to find any. I've been like this for a while even being off the pills, how could this be? And how long will this last?
Last edited by 35534227s on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
35534227s

Re: Combined Birth Control Side Effect? Kind of Out of the Ordinary?

Or it could be my withdrawal bleeding? I'm not so sure tho. It really seems out of the ordinary.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I am not sure why you are assuming any or all of this was or has been related to your BCPs, particularly since this sounds like it was and is about stomach pain, not your reproductive system. I don't see any reason to assume this was related to your pills (it could be, but seems unlikely to me).

We can't say what this was or why it happened. The right person to speak to about this would be a healthcare provider, especially since you continue to have some of these symptoms.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
35534227s

Oh. Well, it's because it's the first time that happened so I thought that it could be related to my BCPs. When I looked it up, I read that BCPs cause bloating/abdominal or stomach pains so I thought that what I'm experiencing right now could be a side effect.

Could it be?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Again, that's not something we can tell you because we don't have the ability to diagnose you. If you haven't already done so, you need to make an appointment with a healthcare provider to discuss these symptoms so that they can help you figure out the cause and hopefully give you a way to treat them.
35534227s

Yes. I understand.

Thanks for replying. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic