Can sex change period dates?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Mangoandcreams
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Art
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Female

Can sex change period dates?

Unread post by Mangoandcreams »

Hi
Ever since I've had intercourse, it changes my period dates.. like usually I used to have them at the end of the month up to the first few days of the next month. But it has been playing around ever since.. i get them but not on the usual time i used to. I have also ready people can still get pregnant with periods? Is that true?

Thanks..
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Can sex change period dates?

Unread post by Heather »

Sex can't change the menstrual cycle (unless, obviously, someone does become pregnant from it). However, sex can sometimes add stress to people's lives, and stress -- or, more accurately, how a lot of people deal with it -- CAN have an impact on cycles.

Too, it's not uncommon for cycles to change or shift -- or get erratic -- sometimes during our lives. Menstrual cycles don't stay the same throughout a person's whole lifetime. It may just be that this is a time in your life when you're having a shift, or when other things (again, like stress, rest or activity, how you're eating, etc.) are making your cycles less regular.

I'm not sure what you mean with that last question: are you asking if people can become pregnant during periods, or if people who are pregnant can still get menstrual periods?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Mangoandcreams
not a newbie

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, yes I'm asking if people can still bleed while pregnant.
Mangoandcreams
not a newbie

In my case, my period doesnt come on the same dates like I feel like its been moving. I'm not sure what are the causes maybe perhaps over thinking Stressed me out most of the time.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

It is possible to experience bleeding during pregnancy, but that bleeding is very unlikely to resemble a normal period or to arrive at the same time that a period would: so, if you get your period around when it's expected and it looks and feels like a typical period, then you can assume that's what it is.

As for your period showing up at different times, as Heather said that's just something that happens. Cycles shift and change over a person's lifetime, and it would actually be highly unusual for someone to always have the same cycle length. Something else to keep in mind is that every month has a different number of days, so if you've been tracking your period by the date it falls on - rather than counting the number of days in between the start of one period and the start of the next - then you're not actually going to have an accurate idea of when it's supposed to arrive or how long your cycles are. Does that make sense?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Camille54
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Unread post by Camille54 »

Hello, I have a question regarding period dates. Last month dec. 16 2016, I almost had unprotected sex but didn't continue going all the way. And then my expected period was dec 23, 2016. However, I skipped that day and got totally anxious. After 3 days, I got a pregnancy test and it was negative. After a few hours of taking the test, I got my period. It was my normal heavy flow with cramping period and it lasted for at least 5 days (my normal cycle). On Dec. 31, I tested myself again and it's negative. Now ever since Jan. 1, I've been feeling sick and losing my appetite. I tested myself yesterday, Jan. 4, 2016 and again it was negative.

I'm just curious:
A woman can't be pregnant once she gets her period right? Since the egg goes out of your body during menstruation?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, Camille. :)

Can you help us starting your own thread so we can give you the space you need and deserve. That way we can also keep things as tidy as possible. Thanks!
Mangoandcreams
not a newbie

Hi
So its been 6 days since the intercourse happened.. right now i just wiped and found that there was some blood stains.. a few days ago i had brown discharge 1day after intercourse and few days following that as well.. it was protected intercourse. I'm not sure why right now I have blood stains.. my period isnt due until the 13th or 14th this january..
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Mangoandcreams,

We can't say for certain what the cause of the bleeding is. However, periods are not like clockwork: sometimes they come a few days early and sometimes they come a few days late, so it's possible that's what is happening here.
Mangoandcreams
not a newbie

Hi,

There isnt a lot of bleeding though, it was when I whiped and blood stains came out ,
Its bit a lot of it and it hasnt increased :/ My period isnt coming until the 13th . It's kind of worrying me a little bit.
Mangoandcreams
not a newbie

Is this still considered as a period ?
Carmen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: disco dancing on roller skates

Unread post by Carmen »

You are the person that knows your body and your periods best - we can't make that call for you.
Mangoandcreams
not a newbie

Thats right but I was just hoping if you could give me some / few reasons why things like these could happen ? Right now I'm not having the bright red discharge , it went back to a brown discharge :/
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

There is a lot of reasons why a period can change and be different than previous. Honestly, is more often that they are different than the identical, it is just that we usually are not hypervigilant of them. But bodies are not machines and they do not always react the same. You do not eat the same food every day, right? You do not sleep the same amount the time and do not excercise exactly the same every day, so in some ways your body is adjusting every single day. Stress is one big factor to everything that happens with our bodies too, maybe the most important. So, these are just some reasons but not the only ones by all means. :)
Mangoandcreams
not a newbie

Oh okay, thank you
I trust my boyfriend telling me that the condom we used didnt break. At first we were worried because there was a curdy white discharge outside the condom after he got out of me and we did use lube so we assume it was that mixed with my fluids. Like we filled it with some water and nothing seemed to be leaking.
Mangoandcreams
not a newbie

My last intercourse was on the 1st this month
and have had the brown discharge for roughly 3 days after intercourse (around Jan 3 , 4 and 5 then had the bright red scanty discharge on the 6th and the next day it turned brown again :/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic