Slightly Paranoid

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Petite_Gyal1991
not a newbie
Sexual identity: Straight

Slightly Paranoid

Unread post by Petite_Gyal1991 »

Hi, I recently had sex with my boyfriend without a condom for the 1st time. I've been on the pill since January of this year and this was our first time having sex without a condom. I am a perfect pill user and I take the pill everyday without missing any days and at the exact same time of day. My concern is if the pill (Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo) will still protect me against pregnancy even though a condom wasn't used??

Also my boyfriend ejaculated in his hand and he did not come on me at all, so I am curious if I am still protected against pregnancy since this occurred as well.

Thanks!!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Slightly Paranoid

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi petite,

So, with intercourse of this nature, we can never say it was 100% without risk. However, since you've been using your pill correctly and you used withdrawl correctly, your chances of pregnancy are very, very, very, very low. To see how low, you can read the effectiveness of combining those two methods here:
The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

You can also read up on the BC pill and why (and how) it works here: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill) . But the upshot of that article is that the pill is designed to protect against pregnancy regardless of whether or not a condom is used. We just recommend combining the two to further decrease the odds of pregnancy.

And, just to check, are you and your partner up to date on your STI testing?
Petite_Gyal1991
not a newbie

Hi Sam,

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I am up to date on my STI testing and so is he. I recently went to the doctor and I was tested for HIV earlier this year and Chlamydia, and I also got a pap smear as well and it came out fine. In the future I am definitely just going to continue with the pill and use a condom as well.

Thanks again!!
Petite_Gyal1991
not a newbie

I have one more quick question. What would you say is the percentage of effectiveness when the only thing used for protection against pregnancy is the birth control pill taken by a perfect user?

Thanks again!!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Petite,

You're quite welcome :) And, the answer to your other question can be found towards the top of the article about the pill that I linked you to (we list both perfect and typical use).
Petite_Gyal1991
not a newbie

Thanks I looked up the answer and you're right. The chances of pregnancy are very very very very low. :)

Thanks again!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic