a little blood when wiping

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Peachy52
not a newbie

a little blood when wiping

Unread post by Peachy52 »

hello! so i'm a little worried. I just went to the bathroom and when I wiped I saw some blood, just a tiny bit though. I am on BC pills and have been for years, and I've NEVER had spotting between periods. I just took a pregnancy test this morning, and it came up negative. What could this be? please help.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: a little blood when wiping

Unread post by Heather »

Never say never with this stuff. Spotting is a common side effect of the pill, and just because it has not happened before does not mean it is not now.

Are you current with your sexual healthcare, like your GYN annual exam and your STI tests (especially if you are not also using condoms)? If not, it is important to stay current, so now is as good a time as any to get caught up, and you can also check in about this while you do that.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Peachy52
not a newbie

okay, so I don't really need to worry about anything?

And I've never been to a GYN since I'm not having vaginal sex, but my doctor did do a screen for STI's recently, and I was fine. My partner and I have never been sexually involved with anyone else and when we do anything that is slightly risky, we use condoms.

I have to admit I've been very frustrated with my doctor though because it's really hard to get an appointment with her, and I tried to talk to her about my sexual activity and she kind of just changed the subject. it was very upsetting.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

How old are you, peachy? I ask because the standard recommendation for annual GYN exams and pap smears now is when someone is 21 OR has been having some kind of genital sex (not just intercourse), OR when they would like to start. Too, once people have been on the pill for a year or so, that is also when that care is advised.

It sounds like you have been seeing a general practitioner for your sexual healthcare, and one who does not sound comfortable providing that kind of care. How about asking them for a referral to a GYN? Alternately, you have the option of just going to a sexual health clinic - like a Planned Parenthood branch, independent or public health clinic- for this kind of healthcare.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Peachy52
not a newbie

I'm 19 and I've been on the pill for almost 3 years. I saw my doctor about a month ago and was really honest with her about my sexual activity and told her that I would probably start having intercourse soon. She just told me not to worry about a GYN until I'm 21 and simply extended my BC prescription for the next year. Would it be a good idea to maybe giver her a call and ask for a GYN referral?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Just to also be clear, a full STI screening includes a bimanual GYN exam and pap smear, so if your GP did not do those things, you did not get a full screening.

If they did, then you did, and you have, then, gotten your basic GYN preventative care, so you can know that is sorted.

(Which does not mean, mind, you still do not get to seek out a different provider for that care moving forward if this one does not feel like a good fit for you!)
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

It sounds like asking for a referral or not is really just about what you want here. :)
Peachy52
not a newbie

okay! Thank you! I want to make sure I'm sexually healthy so I will probably ask for a referral soon.

One more thing (sorry to keep asking questions) I am just recovering from a lot of anxiety in my life right now, part of this anxiety coming from me believing I was pregnant when I had never done anything with a real pregnancy risk. I now feel like I'm at a point where I am at peace and I'm comfortable with what I'm doing sexually. I have taken multiple pregnancy tests and have learned, both through that and what I've read on here, that I need to figure out what I'm comfortable with and understand that I am doing everything I can to keep myself safe. Although despite all of that the blood that I saw today brought back a lot of these anxious thoughts about my sexual health. Would it just be best for me to keep an eye on my body and make sure that nothing gets worse? I just want to make sure that I can finally relax about everything and just let my body do its thing. You know?

Thank you so much for creating this website, I think it's so amazing and informative. It's helped me understand a lot of things and feel better about myself. I couldn't thank you enough for that!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

What a sweet thank you: you are so welcome! :)

Anxiety is a mental health issue, so if and when someone finds they are really struggling with it, and not finding relief from doing things they can on their own, my best suggestion, if you have access to it, is to seek out a qualified mental healthcare provider. That is also a kind of care you can ask your GP to refer you to.

If that is not something you have access to, have you yet done any reading on anxiety and managing it? One of the books I like best that is written expressly for young people to help them with anxiety, and to understand it, is by Dr. Michael Tompkins, called, "My Anxious Mind."
Peachy52
not a newbie

I don't really have access to a mental healthcare provider, although i wish i did. I think I will definitely take a look at that book! Thanks!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Sure thing! And if you ever want to talk about ways to get that access, I would be glad to do that with you. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic