Medications and pregnancy test results

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
pastelpink_
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Creativity
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: confused

Medications and pregnancy test results

Unread post by pastelpink_ »

Hello !
I wanted to ask whether taking certain medications can affect the results of a pregnancy test. I am scared of getting a false negative test.
Thank you.
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Medications and pregnancy test results

Unread post by Redskies »

From our Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests:
Whether you are taking a urine test or a blood test, pregnancy tests look for one thing, human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG). When you see television commercials that talk about “the pregnancy hormone,” they are referring to hCG. This hormone is only present when a person is pregnant. [...] Because pregnancy tests look for this very specific hormone, the result of a pregnancy test is not going to be impacted by foods, medications, or other things. The only known exception to this is medications that are sometimes used to treat infertility.
So, if you're not taking medication to treat infertility - which I assume you're not, if you don't want to become pregnant :) - you can know that medications won't affect a pregnancy test result. If you want to be very sure about the particular medication that you take, you can also check with a pharmacist or healthcare provider.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic