when to see a doctor?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Questionss
not a newbie

when to see a doctor?

Post by Questionss »

So i have been on birth control pills for about 7 packs now. My period has never started during the placebo week any of these times, always before. Although one time it was only a day before i finished the active pills. I always take the pills within the same hour of each other everyday. My big concern is that the pills arent protecting me from pregnancy. Is this whats happening? also is it worth seeing the doctor about this or are they still effective?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: when to see a doctor?

Post by Karyn »

Having a withdrawal bleed during the active pills doesn't mean your pills aren't effective. As long as you're taking them properly, which it sounds like you are, there's no reason to think they aren't doing their job. Usually, people on the pill do have their bleed during the placebo week, but not always. If it bothers you, you can always talk to your doctor and see if they think switching to a different brand of pills might help.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Questionss
not a newbie

Post by Questionss »

Yea im not all that concerned about my periods matching up that match. They are still fairly regular and it doesnt really bother me. I was just concerned about the pregnancy prevention being compromised because i am sexually active and my whole purpose of going on the pills was to seriously decrease the risk of becoming pregnant. And if i am at more of a risk i would hold off on sexually activities until clearing this up. So there is no reason to see my doctor about pregnancy concerns?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Post by Karyn »

I don't see any reason to, no. If you'd feel more secure backing up with condoms - even though your pill is effective - that's always an option. (And the only one that protects against STIs, so a good idea for that reason too!)
Questionss
not a newbie

Post by Questionss »

We always use condoms. Im just one of those people that has anxiety about everything so only using a condom would scare me. Which is why i started taking birth control pills, to help me be less stressed about the possibility of becoming pregnant, because i know they are very effective when taken properly, and combined with another method, like condoms
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Post by Karyn »

Excellent to hear. :)

Again, I don't see any reason to think that your pill isn't working, so you can rest easy!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic