pregnancy question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
markopollo1712
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my personality
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: bisexual

pregnancy question

Unread post by markopollo1712 »

Hi, so I'm 17 and about 22 weeks pregnant. I was looking online and I couldn't find an answer because nobody seems to get that anxiety is different than being anxious (I've been seeing counciling for that so don't worry that's not what this is about) I'm very prone to panic attacks I get them a few times a week, and I'm really wondering if I have to worry about it being harmful to my unborn child?? Also, I'm told that it normally would be kicking right now, and I don't think it has? On the other hand I really don't know how I'd be able to tell..
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: pregnancy question

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi markopollo,

Ooof, pregnancy and panic attacks sounds like a tough combo to deal with. The best person to direct those questions to would be your healthcare provider. Do you have someone who you've been seeing? And are you seeing someone (like a therapist) for help managing the panic attacks?
markopollo1712
not a newbie

I've been having a hard time booking appointments at the local youth council I ng because I legally only have one parent, but I've been working on it with the schools councilling staff. I don't have a family doctor and I'm not quite sure it'd be acceptable to ask the ladies at maternity associates, so I don't know.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I think that'd be a totally acceptable resource. But based on what I know, it's really your own mental health to be concerned with here, and you've no need to worry about this having an impact on a fetus in the womb. (There's enough to worry about when you're pregnant, I always hate to see people worrying about things they don't need to!)

I'd also add that at 22 weeks, you should have a care provider for your pregnancy by now, so if you don't have an OB/GYN or midwife you're working with, you want to do that as soon as possible. Having that healthcare IS important for both of you. Too, you can check in about not feeling kicking with that provider, which is generally advised if a pregnant person hasn't felt kicking by 22 weeks or so.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
markopollo1712
not a newbie

I think it might be a matter of not knowing what it should feel like, but I will definitely ask about that. And thank you, avoiding situations in which a panic attack would usually occur is a lot harder than it should be, and I feel a bit better knowing that its not a big concern as far as the fetus goes
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic