i haven’t gotten my period, like, ever

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
lb07
not a newbie
Pronouns: He/They
Sexual identity: bisexual

i haven’t gotten my period, like, ever

Unread post by lb07 »

i’m turning 17 in a couple weeks, my body is fully developed and i have finished puberty i believe, the only thing i don’t have is my period, the women in my family got theirs at either 12, 10, or even 8. i was told by a doctor at 12 that i should’ve gotten it around a year after i started getting breasts, but i started getting them at 10. i am very overweight (and by overweight i mean.. obese, unfortunately) so that could have something to do with it, but i don’t know. it’s very weird, and i think i should’ve gotten it by now, right?

it’s not like i’m upset about it, i’m a trans guy after all, but im just confused why i haven’t gotten my period by now
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: i haven’t gotten my period, like, ever

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi lb07,

You're right that the fact that you haven't had one by now is a bit odd, although it's not completely unheard of for menarche to come this late in someone's teens. I can't say for certain why it hasn't come yet, but it may be worth bringing up with a healthcare provider just to check to see if there's an underlying reason for it, like a medical condition, that might need to be addressed because it could influence your health in other ways.

I will say that, when it comes to weight, it's actually being underweight, or excessively exercising or dieting, that can cause menstruation to be delayed (or to stop, if someone had already hit menarche).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic