How to practice sex positivity

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
mika.m
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: No one is flawless
Primary language: Persian(Farsi)
Pronouns: He/him
Sexual identity: Bisexual, Male cis

How to practice sex positivity

Unread post by mika.m »

Hi people
It's a little hard to me to be sex positive. don't get me wrong that I'm a fully sex negative, so I know that being queer is normal, having fetish is natural and etc. but it's a little bit annoying to me that when I realized that there are many prostitutes, unique fetishes and people who have many sexual partners also sometimes they are so disappointing to me. I know that these are don't have any problem but they give me bad feelings. Is there any way to practice sex positivity?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: How to practice sex positivity

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Mika,

So, I think it's a good thing that you're recognizing your reaction to things like sex work (that's the preferred term) are more about your own feelings than they are anything to do with those activities being bad or wrong. If you're looking for some starting places on learning how to adopt a sex positive mind-set, thisis a good one. I also recommend checking out the work of Carol Queen who is one of, it not the, person who brought sex positivity into the world as a concept.

Too, something that can really help when learning to practice sex positivity is to learn to separate "that's not for me/that makes me feel bad or weird" from "that is an objectively bad thing." Human sexual behavior is so incredibly varied, so of course there are going to be people whose sexual behavior is the complete opposite of what you want for yourself. But that's not a sign of people doing anything wrong, it's just a sign of people being different. Does that make sense?
mika.m
not a newbie

Unread post by mika.m »

What do you mean by separate those things?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

So, a lot of sex-negative thinking comes from "I think this is gross/weird/etc, which means it is objectively bad." But the reality is, the majority of the time, what that reaction is telling us is that a given sexual thing isn't something we want for ourselves. So it's important to separate out "I think this is gross" from "this is objectively gross." Does that make more sense?

Too, sex positivity is built on the principle of "you do your thing, and I do mine." Because ultimately, what other people choose to do in their sexual interactions has zero effect on us.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I also just want to put in a reminder here that sex work is real work, and the chosen work of many real people. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you find the fact that there are prostitutes disappointing, but when you talk about sex workers here, please try and do so in the respectful way you'd talk about workers in any other chosen profession.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
mika.m
not a newbie

Unread post by mika.m »

Sorry for calling prostitute, I didn't find a better term for this.

Also Yeah that makes sense :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic