How do YOU celebrate your period?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

How do YOU celebrate your period?

Unread post by Karyn »

Today, I got my period.

Maybe no big deal for a lot of people, but because I've been very sick this year, it's the first time I've had one since March. That's about nine months, my friends.

We hear so much about how it sucks to have a period, about how people wish they didn't have one, and now about how people can suppress theirs if they wish.

There are a lot of great plusses to having your period, though, that I think are really important to keep in mind: first of all, if you're sexually active with the opposite sex, it lets you know you're not pregnant, and for many people, that's a HUGE plus. It's a sign that your body is healthy. For many, it's also a wonderful part of being a woman. It's a sign that your body is growing up and maturing. For those interested in being mothers, it's a wonderful affirmation of their ability to have a baby.

So, because getting a period is awesome for all those reasons and more, we ought to celebrate! Let's ditch the negativity and focus on the positive.

Tonight, I'm going to walk down to the convenience store and grab me some Ben & Jerry's ice cream, all for myself, and take a nice, hot bath before bedtime. How do YOU celebrate your period? (And why do you feel it's worth celebrating?)
Originally posted by Leabug at the old boards here: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimat ... 05410.html
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
suburban_witch
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Pretty good
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Questioning

Re: How do YOU celebrate your period?

Unread post by suburban_witch »

I usually will eat something nice, and I have been trying to exercise to ease my cramps! That's been helping a lot. I used to associate my period with hibernation and generally just being away from the world, but a nice part about getting older is having a lot more control over what menstrual products feel most comfortable to use, so I don't physically feel like a pariah.
DulceDiva
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my intelligence
Primary language: spanish english
Pronouns: she

Re: How do YOU celebrate your period?

Unread post by DulceDiva »

I'm just like oh hi you're here , in the past my periods where so painful one time I couldn't keep food down , had horrible cramps & went back & forth between hot & cold but now I'm on BC & my period is just there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic