Complex timing and symptoms of pregnancy test

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
MoradM
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Open-minded
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He
Sexual identity: Straight Male

Complex timing and symptoms of pregnancy test

Unread post by MoradM »

Hello.

I decided to ask here since my partner and I decided to do a pregnancy test lately.
We have had "dry humping" (yes, 0 risk, I know) but we just wanted to be sure.
She had had a period since then (it was a month and a half ago), but also from time to time (every couple of weeks) she feels the urge to throw up, and sometimes she is fatigued (but not daily), so we decided to be on the good side and do a pregnancy test, since it worries us a bit.

The test came out negative, knowing that it is considered a highly sensitive hCG test (The brand is Clearblue, if it helps).

My question is as follows: If what she is having really are pregnancy symptoms, then is it safe to assume that her hCG levels are high enough for the pregnancy test to detect them?
In other words, if we got a negative at such a stage, then her symptoms are non-related to pregnancy in a high chance?

Thanks

PS: We still got one pregnancy test left, which we decided to do 6 days after her period is due (which is in about 2 weeks from now)
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Complex timing and symptoms of pregnancy test

Unread post by Karyn »

If someone is pregnant enough to have physical changes related to pregnancy, then yes, they would get a positive result on a pregnancy test. You can read more about pregnancy tests here: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

How are you doing with managing your anxiety about pregnancy lately?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
MoradM
not a newbie

Unread post by MoradM »

Haha so I guess my Computer Science analysis skills did not fail me.
I analyzed it like this: If those physical changes are indeed from pregnancy, then the hormone responsible, hCG, is high enough, therefore the pregnancy test would detect it. Can you (almost) confirm this? (I know biology isn't always 100% precise).

Well, to be honest, thanks to all the staff, and especially Heather, I've managed to just let it go. But as I said if you have seen, I really live in a tough community, and I did not want to have such a risk, not on me, and especially not on my partner, I love her too much to make her go through such a thing, knowing that I could've prevented it if we knew earlier, even if it is the slightest (and almost impossible) chance. Therefore, us both decided to take a few minutes, do a pregnancy test, and just leave it all behind us.

And oh, we have listened to Heather's advice; she told us that if such acts are that forbidden in your community, then it is better to refrain. So, we sat down, talked honestly, and agreed that we do not want any kind of sexual activities until we are married. And guess what? The days after that agreement felt amazing. They felt pure. We're both happy.

All of this are thanks to this wonderful staff. I just can not thank you enough!
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

I analyzed it like this: If those physical changes are indeed from pregnancy, then the hormone responsible, hCG, is high enough, therefore the pregnancy test would detect it. Can you (almost) confirm this? (I know biology isn't always 100% precise).
That's absolutely correct. :)

I'm so glad you were able to sit down and talk with your partner and make an agreement that you both feel good about. Yay for Heather's good advice! (As much as it sucks to have to make the choice not to be sexually active because you're in a community that isn't supportive, I do agree with her 100% that it can be the best option when you're in such a situation.)
MoradM
not a newbie

Unread post by MoradM »

Karyn wrote:
That's absolutely correct. :)

I'm so glad you were able to sit down and talk with your partner and make an agreement that you both feel good about. Yay for Heather's good advice! (As much as it sucks to have to make the choice not to be sexually active because you're in a community that isn't supportive, I do agree with her 100% that it can be the best option when you're in such a situation.)
Thanks alot!
Yes, I am very glad too.
Believe it or not, it is apparently something we both shared. We kind of felt like we betrayed ourselves, and betrayed our community.
I know refraining is very hard. And I will admit it, yes, it is! Standing there, next to the woman I love most, and not be able to express it in the natural way, is indeed very tough for me.
But if there is disrespect towards her, her family, my family and myself, then no, I do not want this natural action, and I just want to express it in a different way: I can buy her roses, take her out to her favorite places, or even just hug her so intimately. No need for sex in order to express love.

PS: That only makes you realize how serious your relationship is. When you are HAPPIER when there are no sexual actions, you must be sure that this relationship is going on the right track, and that both partners are very serious about one another.

Thanks again for your confirmation.
I will update here once we do the 2nd (and last) pregnancy test in 2 weeks.

Regards,
Morad
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

You're very welcome; so glad to help. Please do keep us updated! (And thank you so much for the wonderful thank you post you made, it's always great to hear that we've helped someone so much!)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic