Sore boobs but i'm on the pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
busylizzie
not a newbie

Sore boobs but i'm on the pill

Unread post by busylizzie »

Ive been taking the pill for almost two months - im taking the combined pill and I am nearly finished my second pack. Most of the time when I have sex I use a condom as well, but twice in this second pack a condom wasn't used.
I have never missed a pill and take it at the same time every singly day, so I know in terms of the pill I'm basically as protected as I can be. So even if I have sex without a condom as well I know I will probably be fine.
For about the past four days I've noticed my breasts have been sore to touch at the sides of them, near my armpits. They feel almost like they have been bruised but they don't look any different to how they normally do. I know sore breasts an be a side effect of the pill and also a symptom of pregnancy, so I really have two questions.
1. I assume that I'm not pregnant even though condoms weren't used a couple of times - it is safe to assume this?
2. Could my breasts be sore as a side effect of the pill even though up until now (so for all of the first pack ad most of the second) I haven't had any problems with them?
And thirdly also, if I did want to take a pregnancy test to reassure myself, can I take it the day after finish this pill pack? Or should I wait a couple of days and then take it? At the end of the first pack of pills I finished taking them on a Friday and began bleeding the following Monday. So should I wait till the Monday at the end of this second pack to test?

Thank you so much for your time, I know it was a long post xx
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Sore boobs but i'm on the pill

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Busylizzie,

We can't say for certain what's causing the tenderness, but the pill is a likely culprit (some side effects of it come and go for some people). You're correct that your pill makes you really, really, really protected against pregnancy, but the kind of sex you participate in will always pose some risk (even if that risk is incredibly small). So, you're likely not pregnant, but if you want to take a pregnancy test just to be sure, you can read about how here:
Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

I will say that we do recommend continuing to use condoms as a back-up method, even when you're on the pill, since it further increases protection against pregnancy plus provides protection against STIs:
The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method
busylizzie
not a newbie

Thanks for your reply!
Yeah I definitely feel more comfortable doubling up with protection, obviously that is the most sensible thing to do, I'll do that always from now on :)
One more question, I know that a pregnancy test is most effective when you test from the day your period is due. On the pill, does this mean the first day of the pill free week or does it mean the day the withdrawal bleeding is actually due to turn up?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi busylizzie,

When to test will actually vary depending on the specific test you're taking, so if you end up buying one I would check the directions on that to see what it says
busylizzie
not a newbie

Okay thanks will do :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Just FYI: tender breasts are, indeed, a common side effect of combined oral contraceptives, one that's usually noted on the patient information included with your pill packs. If you've never read through one of those leaflets, I suggest you do. We always want to read the patient information as completely as possible for any medication we're taking.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
busylizzie
not a newbie

Hi Heather, yeah I've read all my pill information several times. What is worrying me most is that for the entirety of the first pill pack I had no side effects whatsoever. And now my breasts feel really sore as bruised and that's what is making me worry, especially because I have ad sex with the pill as the sole method of contraception. I know its probably ok but it is making me a bit panicky
busylizzie
not a newbie

I don't want to panic and work myself up about something like this though, because most probably I know things will be ok, at least I don't think I really have reason to stress so much...
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Reading your pill information should not cause a panic. All it is is information. In anything, reading about what side effects to expect and are common should help you manage panics like this better.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
busylizzie
not a newbie

The info hasn't caused me to panic but the fact that ive developed a side effect when ive been using the pill with no problems seemed a bit weird to me. but Sam W said side effects can come and go - so I shouldn't worry about it randomly showing up now
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Exactly. Side effects can show up at any time, even if we never had them before. And in the first few months of using the pill, specifically, side effects are most likely to show up or be more intense. You've only been using it for two months, so you are still right at the start of this.
busylizzie
not a newbie

Okay thanks to both of you for answering me :) you've made me feel a lot better about it! xx
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

You're welcome. :)
busylizzie
not a newbie

Hello again, I have another question. Could changes to the areola also be a side effect of taking the pill? Mine have become bigger over the past couple of days :/
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi busylizzie,

We can't be certain is this is a side effect of the pill, but it is normal for breasts to experience some minor changes from cycle to cycle.
busylizzie
not a newbie

Ok then. thanks for your help
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

By the way, since it sounds like right now you're being observant about your body changes in a way you haven't been before, you might find it helpful to just start keeping a log of them. In other words, to do at least some very informal charting of your cycles and the things that happen with them.

That way, over time, you will probably start to see patterns of things that are pretty typical cyclical changes -- like breast tenderness, breast or nipple slight size changes, bloating, etc. -- so that you will have a better idea down the road what really is unusual for you and what isn't. Of course, in the next month or so, some of what you log may not stick over time, because it may be related to starting the pill, but that's okay.
busylizzie
not a newbie

Ohhhh thanks yeah that seems like a good idea, will do!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic