No period after switching birth control pills?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Sassy221
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm super smart
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/ her
Sexual identity: Straight

No period after switching birth control pills?

Unread post by Sassy221 »

Hi there,

I recently switched from trisprintec to microgestin fe 1/20 last month after being on a tri-phasic for 5 years. My doctor knew that I was switching pills but did not tell me to be especially careful during the first month of the mono-phasic. Normally, my period starts on the third day of the placebo pills, but I'm into the fifth day of the placebos on my first pack of microgestin and still have no period. I've been having sex with my boyfriend all month and we usually just use the pull out method because I'm on the pill. I haven't skipped pills or taken any late.

Is it common to have missed/late periods after switching pills or should I be concerned about a pregnancy risk?

Thanks!
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: No period after switching birth control pills?

Unread post by Karyn »

Any time you're having the kinds of sex that can create pregnancy, there will be a pregnancy risk. However, as long as you didn't take a longer than usual placebo break between the end of your last pack of pills and this new pack, and you've taken all of them correctly, then the risk is very small. (Even smaller, in fact, because you've also used the withdrawal method.) Your period is most likely late because your body is getting used to the new pill formulation, but if you're concerned you can go ahead and take a pregnancy test for the extra peace of mind.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Sassy221
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm super smart
Pronouns: She/ her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Sassy221 »

Thanks for your response.

I've since taken two home pregnancy tests and both have been negative, so I'm starting to think I don't need to worry. However, I've also been getting a lot of conflicting information about when the pregnancy tests will work. I've been told by one advice nurse to go ahead and take a pregnancy test, but she also ordered a blood pregnancy test for me. However, another advice nurse told me that 6 days into when my period was supposed to hit was still too early to test. So I'm wondering if I can rely on the home tests I've taken already (6 days into my missed period) or if I should go get a blood test to be sure.
Ruth
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer/lesbian

Unread post by Ruth »

As far as I'm aware, pregnancy tests are generally accurate as soon as a period has been missed - there are some that advertise working earlier, but I'm pretty sure you can be solid on the accuracy of those tests, given that you had two negative results coupled with your relatively small risk to start with.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic