Yaz and smoking

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Tassha1223
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am reliable
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Yaz and smoking

Unread post by Tassha1223 »

I used to smoke for about a year but inconsistently while taking the pill Yaz. I stopped due to the fact of higher blood clot risk. Am I still at a higher risk even if I stopped smoking completely?
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: Yaz and smoking

Unread post by Siân »

Hi Yaz,

Both smoking and the pill can increase the risk of deep vein thrombosis (the blood clotting you're speaking about), so when you were smoking you had two things increasing your risks. When you stop smoking, that risk reduces - how far it reduces depends on how much you smoked and for how long. The increase in risk from being on the pill continues while you are on the pill, though in reality the risk is fairly small; there are about 6 extra cases of blood clotting for every 10 000 people prescribed - that's 0.06% of users.

Of course, quitting smoking will have a whole lot of other health benefits beyond reducing your risk of blood clotting!

Does that make sense?
Tassha1223
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am reliable
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Tassha1223 »

yes thank you! Is there ever a chance for it to be able to reduce completely just to the risk normal pill users?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Given how briefly you smoked for, and the fact that you're a younger person, I think it's safe to say that's likely.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic