Silicone sex toy

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Chimichanga
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Silicone sex toy

Unread post by Chimichanga »

Hi! So I recently purchased my first toy! Any tips on how to clean a silicone one? It it battery powered. Thanks a bunch!
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: Silicone sex toy

Unread post by Alice O »

Hey Chimichanga,

In general, a quick wash with warm water and regular soap should be all you need to clean lube and bodily fluids off your new toy. You may want to every once and awhile sanitize the toy--since it has batteries you won't want to boil it or put it through the dishwasher, but you can do a wipe down with rubbing alcohol.

Will you be sharing the toy with a partner or partners? If so, check out this this article on barriers, which includes information about safer sex with toys: All the Barriers! All the Time!.

Also, you may already know this, but you should use water-based or oil-based lube with your silicone toy--since silicone-based lube is not compatible with silicone toys. If you are using latex condoms with the toy you should stick to just water-based lube since oil-based breaks down latex.

Any other questions about your new toy, or anything else?
Chimichanga
not a newbie

Thank you for replying! How should I store the sex toy? I will not be sharing the sex toy. I heard rubbing alcohol and drying it with a towel are a bad idea.
Chimichanga
not a newbie

And is it bad if I use it throughout the day without washing till the evening?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Ideally, you want to rinse a toy before use (because dust) and wash it after *each* use, not using it more than once without washing it. If you instead mean is it okay to wait to wash it until later, hours after you used it, sure, but toys do tend to be tougher to clean when you let fluids dry up on them.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Chimichanga
not a newbie

Thank you for replying! Another thing: How should I store the sex toy? I will not be sharing the sex toy. I heard rubbing alcohol and drying it with a towel are a bad idea.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Chimichanga,

Ideally you'd want to store it somewhere that it's not exposed too much dust and such, and where it's not going to get super hot or super cold. Some folks make special boxes for their toys, and some places sell storage bags or boxes designed specifically for that purpose. I also know a few people who use tool-boxes to store their toys along with their safer sex supplies. In terms of drying off, you can usually use either a clean cloth towel or a fresh paper towel.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic