Am I weird?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
confusedteen
Awesomeness Quotient: my personality
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her

Am I weird?

Unread post by confusedteen »

This is my first post so sorry if this is weird. So, I am 17 which is the legal age to consent to sex. All my life I have been told that being a virgin is good and to save my virginity, I will regret it if I don't. But I don't feel that way. I honestly would prefer my first time to be with someone I don't have super strong feelings towards because I want to have the practice before I do it with someone I really care about. So I'm just curious if thats weird? Or a bad idea? I dont know, i dont feel like i can talk about this with people so im asking yall. Thank you.
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: fluid

Re: Am I weird?

Unread post by Onionpie »

Hi confusedteen, welcome to Scarleteen! Your thoughts on this subject are not "weird" at all! Many people agree with your ideas around this. We even have a few articles here at Scarleteen about how "virginity" is kind of a useless, outdated, and sexist concept! Whether it's a good idea or not to have your first sexual experiences with someone you don't have strong feelings for? That's entirely up to you and how YOU feel. Whatever feels right for you, and feels most comfortable for you, is the right way to go.

If you're interested, here are our articles about virginity:
Magical Cups & Bloody Brides: Virginity in Context
20 Questions About Virginity: Scarleteen Interviews Hanne Blank

You also might find this article helpful for some food for thought around first sexual experiences:
Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic