Making a Birth Control Decision

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Atonement
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Cis-gender woman, Hetero

Making a Birth Control Decision

Unread post by Atonement »

I’ve been having a debate with myself for the last few days, and I thought I’d get you all to weigh in.

I have had my nuvaring for 4 years now, ever since American insurance companies started covering it fully. While I haven’t been sexually active in that time, it has done wonders for my menstrual cycle and cramps.

However, in light of current events here, that nuvaring being fully covered may or may not last. So, I have been thinking about getting a progesterone based IUD instead. That would buy me 5 years of time. I may or may not need protection during that time period, but I feel much safer having it.

I’ve read up on it a lot and think I’m pretty well informed. I think I could handle the discomfort associated with the insertion, and I also like that it has a lower rate of failure than the nuvaring. However, I’m really apprehensive about messing around with my cycle when I have it so perfectly regulated.

I know it’s ultimately something I’m going to have to decide for myself, but I thought I’d ask you all to weigh in with your opinions/experiences. I've talked to both my ob/gyn and my PCP and they are both very neutral on the subject.

Thanks!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Making a Birth Control Decision

Unread post by Mo »

I know of some people who have switched to a long-term birth control option like an IUD or implant recently; having something in place for several years feels a bit more secure to a lot of folks right now! It's tough, though, to make that choice when it's not clear how your cycle will respond to the IUD, and when you feel so good about how the nuvaring's been working for you. It may be a question of whether guaranteed long-term pregnancy protection feels more important than cycle management.

Maybe others who've had direct experiences with IUDs can weigh in here with some thoughts; since I haven't ever used one I am no help in that area. I've heard a lot of good things about them from friends, though.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

I've had a Mirena IUD for a couple of years now, and personally, I love it. I can't say anything about the insertion - for various reasons I had it inserted under twilight sedation and I don't remember anything about the procedure - but after the first few days of mild cramps and bleeding, I haven't even noticed it. However, I don't get periods anymore: the most I ever have is a bit of spotting every so often. Not everyone who has a hormonal IUD stops getting periods altogether, but the majority of folks using one do experience some kind of change in their cycle. I'm not fussed about having regular periods, but it sounds like it's important for you; it just depends how important it is vs how much you'd prefer to have a long-acting method of birth control given the current political climate in the US (which is something I totally understand wanting!).
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Atonement
not a newbie
Sexual identity: Cis-gender woman, Hetero

Unread post by Atonement »

Honestly, regular periods aren't a big deal to me. The reason I'm happy with the way things are now is because I have almost no period. I wouldn't mind it going away altogether, but I just wouldn't want it to come back heavy/painful like it was before birth control.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

It might be worth trying the IUD in that case, although you'd also have to consider the possibility of it creating changes in your cycle that you're not happy with, such as unexpected or frequent bouts of bleeding (for some people that's worth the increased protection, for others it is not).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic