What was the best relationship advice you've ever gotten?

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

What was the best relationship advice you've ever gotten?

Unread post by Sam W »

The world is chock-full of relationship advice. Some of it's good, some of it is...less so. And sometimes good advice can come from unexpected places. For instance, it was my beloved Freshman P.E teacher who was the first person to talk about relationships requiring communication and compromise in order to function.

What about y'all? What was the best relationship advice you ever got, and where did it come from?
missmia
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Listening and helping others
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual but leaning more towards asexual

Re: What was the best relationship advice you've ever gotten?

Unread post by missmia »

My fourth grade teacher told me that I would find someone that cherished and respected me. This is really important to me and it has stuck with me over the years.
Miss Mia :)
QueenDee
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can work a dark lipstick like nobody's business.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They/them/their
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: What was the best relationship advice you've ever gotten?

Unread post by QueenDee »

When I'm in relationships I have this really bad habit of a) sticking with really dysfunctional folks that none of my friends like and b) losing myself in the relationship. A lot of the best advice I've heard comes from really corny "you're beautiful and you don't need anybody else songs" because it helps to be constantly reminded that I deserve good things, and that anybody that doesn't want me as I am is not worth my time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic