Thirst

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
Love_muffintop
not a newbie
Sexual identity: Lesbian/queer

Thirst

Unread post by Love_muffintop »

I was going throughout my day when I realized some of my actions are motivated by wanting to be closer to girls. I honestly love anticipate going out just to look at pretty girls and think about how one day I'll go out with one. Is this normal? Am I "boy crazy" queer edition?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Thirst

Unread post by Heather »

I hear you saying that you simply feel some sexual or romantic desire for girls, and that you enjoy thinking about that, including thinking about future interactions or relationships you hope to have.

Whatever gender is involved with this, that's no kind of crazy at all. Human beings, near universally, have sexual feelings and desires, and human beings also generally have the desire for intimate relationships with other human beings. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Love_muffintop
not a newbie

Oh cool, I really thought I was having a mini breakdown about sexuality :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Having sexual desires isn't mental illness, I assure you. Just a part of being alive.

Any sense of why you appear to have concerns about common sexual desires being about mental illness? You're voicing concerns about being "crazy" or having breakdowns. Where do you think you're getting that from?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Love_muffintop
not a newbie

Not so much as crazy, but as confused. Certain things come to the forefront of my mind in sort of random orders. I sometimes get overwhelmed when I start to feel my brain obsessing over these random things.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Love_Muffintop,

Thanks for clarifying that! Do you find that those obsessing thoughts tend to focus on certain areas (like sexuality or dating) or can they be about pretty much anything?
Love_muffintop
not a newbie

I do, Sam W. Sexuality, loneliness, anxiety, the future, the past, sadness, and anger.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants

Unread post by Sam W »

That sounds like it would be really exhausting . Have you ever had the chance to talk to someone like a counselor or therapist about this pattern?
Love_muffintop
not a newbie

I haven't been able to visit a therapist yet. So much keeps happening in my day to day life. But you're right about the exhaustion.
Carmen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: disco dancing on roller skates
Primary language: English

Unread post by Carmen »

Hi love_muffintop,

Is seeing a therapist something you might be interested in or want to consider? It sounds like you are dealing with a lot of different things and definitely a lot of daily exhaustion. Are there any other things going on you want to talk about or ask about here? Or maybe discuss some of the ways you can self-care for everything you are dealing with?
Love_muffintop
not a newbie

Hi Carmen

I've been considering therapy for years. It only became a real option for me a few months ago, but I've not had any time to go. I know I need to prioritize my mental health more, but I have many responsibilities have to do.
Carmen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: disco dancing on roller skates

Unread post by Carmen »

That is great is just became an option for you. Getting going on that kind of thing can feel like a lot of work, especially when you have a lot of other stuff going on, but you are right that prioritizing your mental health is important :) Do you think doing that is something you could do soon?
Love_muffintop
not a newbie

Hopefully. In between tutoring, my sport, and trying to sleep, I don't really have a whole lot of extra time.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.

Unread post by Karyn »

It can definitely be tough when you're busy to figure out a way to carve out some time to see a therapist (or whatever else you need to do to take care of your mental health) but it's usually possible to skip one sports practice session, or rearrange a tutoring schedule for one week, and I can promise you that the world will not come to a screeching halt if you need to do something like that.

You've mentioned before that your parents have helped you find a therapist, it's just the time issue that means you haven't had an appointment yet; do you think you could talk to your parents to figure out how to work an appointment into your schedule? It might be worth checking in with this therapist to see if they do sessions over Skype or the phone, too. Some do and that can make it easier to schedule appointments just because there's no travel time involved.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Love_muffintop
not a newbie

Karyn, that is a perfect idea and I know sensibly that I need to revamp a schedule for myself, but I just feel no matter what I choose to do on a given afternoon, I'll regret or feel anxiety over not doing a different activity instead.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.

Unread post by Karyn »

I hear you, and I get wanting to avoid that regret or anxiety or the feeling that you should have been doing something else. That's just the way life goes sometimes though, you know? Sometimes we will experience those feelings, sometimes we have to make choices where it seems like there is no ideal option, but it is still possible to do whatever we need to do even if it feels uncomfortable at the time. It's not possible - and not actually all that healthy either - to go through life avoiding anything that might be difficult.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic