Birth Control and Unproteted Sex

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
hiim.maria
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: eyes
Primary language: english
Pronouns: Maria
Sexual identity: straight

Birth Control and Unproteted Sex

Unread post by hiim.maria »

Hi everyone! :)

I started taking birth control about 12 days ago, almost 2 weeks ago. My boyfriend and I just had unprotected sex for the first time and he finished inside of me.
Immediately after, I started cramping so bad and I'm scared I might not be protected against getting pregnant.
The instructions on my package of pills said to take the first 7 pills with extra protection and it's about to be two weeks since I started.
Could I be pregnant?
Should I get Plan B? Thank you!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Birth Control and Unproteted Sex

Unread post by Mo »

Plan B isn't going to do anything your birth control isn't already taking care of; it's not something you need to take when you've been taking your bc pills according to directions. As long as you've been taking your pills according to directions they are at full effectiveness now, but if you don't feel confident enough with just that level of protection, using a backup method like condoms is a great idea, and one we suggest to all pill users. It's really up to what you feel comfortable with.
hiim.maria
not a newbie

So sorry for the late response!
But do you think the pill is in full effect? I've been taking it for 12 days, now 13 and I always take it around 1:10 give or take one to two mins but always on time basically.
I'm just scared that since I haven't used up a whole pack of birth control that it's not in full effect. I did use extra protection for the first 7 pills like instructed though!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

When did you start using your pill in relationship to your menstrual cycle? If you started it on the same day your period started, or on or before the first Sunday after your period, then yes, the pill will be fully effective within 7 days.

If you started at another time in your cycle, then a backup is suggested for the whole of the first pill pack because no, it may not be fully effective within one week.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
hiim.maria
not a newbie

I didn't jot down when my period ended but I started my birth control the Sunday after my period ended. So let's say my period ended on a Tuesday, I started it that following Sunday.
Regardless I didn't have unprotected sex until the 12th day of being on birth control.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

So, you started it mid-cycle then, not on a first day or Sunday start, which is starting on or before the first Sunday after a period starts, not after it ends.

That means that your pill may be fully effective in this first place, but it may not be, so using backup is generally what is advised until you are on to your second pack. If you didn't so far, you didn't, but that's in the past so it's done. All you can do is use a backup method now, for the rest of this pack, since that's in the present and future.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
hiim.maria
not a newbie

I'm sorry, I'm just not understanding :(
How did I not do a Sunday start if I got my period the 17th and started it once my period was done? My period was done before Sunday the 24th and I started it that same Sunday.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Or perhaps I have misunderstood YOU. :) My apologies, as it wounds like I have.

If your period began on Tuesday and ended BEFORE the first Sunday after that (in other words, you had a period that was sorter than those six days), and you started on that Sunday, then yes, you DID do a Sunday start.

I'm sorry to hear, btw, that it sounds like the person who prescribed you the pill didn't do their job in giving you the instructions on how to start it, and how long to use backup based on how you started it. For future reference, anyone prescribing someone any medication needs to tell them how to use it, rather than just writing a prescription and telling them to read the patient leaflet: that's part of the job they're supposed to be doing.
hiim.maria
not a newbie

Yes!! You got it now :) that's what I was trying to say! Oddly enough, my period was on Sunday the 17th, ended sometime before Sunday the 24th SO I started my birth control on the 24th bc I was already a few days done w my period so I think you and I are on the same page now! Sorry if I didn't explain myself correctly!

The doctor who I did see was in a rush and didn't really explain the pill and I had to read all the info that came with the pills :( the instructions the pills came with said to use protection for the first 7 pills (which I did do! :)) but the doctor herself failed to do that :(

So, do you think I'm fully protected? And I will use extra protection for now just until I'm comfortable enough without it :)
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Again:
If you started it on the same day your period started, or on or before the first Sunday after your period, then yes, the pill will be fully effective within 7 days.
I'm really sorry your healthcare provider didn't take the time they needed to. Again, if they're too short on time to do the basics of their job, then they need to work that out. It's not only to just skip out on the basics -- like giving a patient basic instructions for a new medication -- because they or their practice aren't managing their time or patient load properly. :(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic