Abnormal withdrawal bleed

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Moya
Pronouns: they/them/their

Abnormal withdrawal bleed

Unread post by Moya »

This is a post I made on Tuesday:

"Okay, so my period is really REALLY heavy this month. In the 24 hours since it started, I’ve noticed at least five quarter-sized (or larger) clots. And when I showered, the water at my feet was pink the entire time. Even though I showered for like a full ten minutes trying to rinse away the worst of the blood. It never actually stopped—I just gave up on standing at that point.
Also, I’ve had a few bits of…lighter stuff? Grayish tissue, maybe? Or maybe it wasn’t tissue—I didn’t exactly touch it. It could have been cervical fluid? I don’t know what that’s supposed to look like.
I feel weak and woozy. Why is it suddenly like this? Should I be worried?"

I was unwise and did not go to see a doctor. Yesterday, I posted this:

"I’m still dropping blood clots the size of quarters or larger (sometimes like an inch and a half across, maybe even two inches) rather frequently. No more weird colored…tissue? Fluid? But so much blood loss.
I lost count, but I’d estimate I’ve had at least thirty blood clots bigger than a quarter. Possibly as many as forty or fifty. Big range, I know. I wish I’d kept a tally.
I’m taking iron supplements, but I feel awful. I feel really awful…"

My withdrawal bleed began and ended on time, but I'm still worried because this was so far outside the norm. I contacted my doctor, but she didn't get back to me today, so I'm worried I won't hear back until Monday, and I'd like to know if this is pressing enough to seek care sooner.

I take hbc pills daily, always at the same time. I was late taking them once two years ago and missed a pill a year and a half ago; I'm accurate enough that those are literally the only lapses I've had since 2/2008.

I also always use a backup birth control method. Condoms, FC2s, or withdrawal (following all advisories very carefully)

So I'm not sure what this could be.

I'm using quotes from closer to the time it happened in the hopes that they're more accurate that way. Please feel free to ask me to clarify anything!

Oh, I also have two male sex partners. Only had piv sex four times total this month. We've all been tested in the last three months.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: Abnormal withdrawal bleed

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Moya,

From what I understand (I can't see any of your previous posts, is this a 2nd username?)... this does sound like it was a pretty heavy withdrawal bleed. In terms of whether this is or isn't an emergency I would say that an appointment as soon as Monday would be fine, even more so as it has ended. There are a lot of potential causes but there's nothing here that screams out to me, apart from your personal concern, that it is an issue that needs addressing sooner. That said, it is your body and if you feel like you could have access to care sooner, and would like to I see no reason why not.

I'm not sure we can say much more than that, hopefully your doctor can help you find out what had been happening.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Moya

Unread post by Moya »

I had an account before the boards changed. Had to make a new one to post this.

Could you give me a list of possibilities? I'm still kind of freaking out. And I don't know for sure when I'll hear back from my doctor--I haven't managed to contact her to make an appointment yet. Might try contacting PP to see if they can help me, but, again, not sure if it's urgent enough for that.

I probably should've done something during my period, but I felt so terrible that I actually called my girlfriend to come over and take care of me, and I didn't think I could get out of bed...
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I really feel you should do as previously advised and get in touch with a healthcare provider, and that you not keep putting it off. And that is the sound person to discuss the possibilities with, since they can examine you and get a health history to ably know what they may be.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Moya

Unread post by Moya »

As I said, I contacted my doctor. I just haven't heard back from her yet.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Hopefully you hear from them tomorrow, or you get the care you need through other more immediate means (that is up to you).

Just to clarify, I took your earlier question as "Should I see a healthcare professional right now, or on Monday". I still definitely think you should see them one way or the other.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic