One method or two?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

One method or two?

Unread post by Heather »

If you are engaging in the kind of sex, or plan to, that poses risk of pregnancy, and you don't want to become pregnant (or have a sexual partner who does), you need to use at least one method of contraception.

But we know from study and a lot of broad trails that what BEST prevents pregnancy is using dual contraception (what we call "the buddy system"): not just one method, but two. That way, if and when errors or goofups get made with one of those methods, or something else causes a failure, the other is right there to back it up so you're still all good.

Are you trying to decide if you want to use one method or two, and if two, which ones? If so, here's a place where we can talk about that and work it out with you, or just talk in general about deciding to use a sole method or two methods together.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Peonies
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can raise plants from the dead
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: cis female

Re: One method or two?

Unread post by Peonies »

Hi Heather!

I was actually just about to make a thread about switching to a new form of birth control and trying to figure out what the best option is for me. I'm going to talk to my GYN about it, but I thought I could start here first to give me some things to think about.

I know that I always want to back up with condoms. I'm currently on a combined pill and using conforms. I feel that I am a good pill user. In the past year I have never missed a pill, and I have only taken 2 pills late. (Both were 9 hours late). However, I want the most protection against pregnancy possible. Although I realize no method is 100%, and I am OK with a very small statistical risk, I still like to have the best protection I can.

That's where I'm at currently and I would love to talk further with someone about other options, or if other options would make much of a difference. I have read through the Birth Control Bingo several times but still not sure of what to consider.

Thank you guys!
Formerly CraftyKid
squintern
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a Pokemon master!

Unread post by squintern »

I'm currently using the implant (Implanon), and I would definitely recommend that to anyone looking for an alternative to pills. I chose it because I wasn't happy with the idea of needing to remember to take something or remove/replace something frequently, as I am forgetful at the best of times! I love it because it's cheap, discreet, hasn't given me any negative side effects, and isn't reliant on me or someone else remembering to do/bring contraception. It's essentially goof proof, which I love. Really, I'm amazed it isn't a

Originally I got it not because I was sexually active, but because I was traveling for an exchange trip overseas and didn't want to navigate an unfamiliar medical system if the occasion did arise, but I plan to continue using it as long as it's working for me. I am sexually active now, including activities with pregnancy risks, and I'm happy with the 99.9% protection the implant gives. My boyfriend is willing to back up with condoms if I feel happier doing that, which we're doing only until we're both tested for STIs. Once that's cleared, I think it will be single method for us, since we're both happy to take those risks with pretty excellent odds.
Peonies
not a newbie

Unread post by Peonies »

squintern,

Do you still have a withdrawal bleed with the implant? I'm sure it varies for each person, but I'm just curious. You say you didn't have any bad side effects which is great? How was it when you first got it?
Formerly CraftyKid
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Am I getting it right that your biggest want/concern is with having a method to pair with condoms which is one of the most highly effective? If so, then we're probably talking: IUD, implant or depo-provera injection.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Peonies
not a newbie

Unread post by Peonies »

Heather - yes!
Formerly CraftyKid
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

So, what questions do you have about those methods? :)
squintern
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a Pokemon master!

Unread post by squintern »

Sorry for the delay CraftyKid, I didn't have access to my computer for a couple of days!

I still get very regular bleeding, which is lighter than what I was getting prior to getting the implant. I've never really had bad PMS or anything, but now that's pretty much non-existent except for the occasional light cramping. When it was inserted, I had a tiny bruise for about a week and pain only in the first day, which was localised to the insertion area. I was at work using my arm as usual that day and the next. My situation wasn't ideal as I had it inserted about a month before traveling overseas and my doctor said normally they like to keep an eye on the first few months (like with any new BC method). He said that I could have irregular bleeding or pain or other side effects during that time, and was kind enough to give me a sample pack of birth control pills to take to regulate things if needed. My withdrawal bleed timing changed very slightly but it was regular from the first month which was awesome.

Prior to getting the implant I'd read a lot of stories about terrible side effects, endless spotting, weight gain, depression, bad PMS and so on, so I was a bit wary at first, although I had worked out that it was likely to be the best method for me otherwise. I'm pretty lucky I think to have had essentially zero side effects. I like to share my experiences wherever possible because I found there to be a lot more horror stories around than positive responses :) Obviously not going to be the same for everyone but I think it helps to know that some people do find it very good!
Peonies
not a newbie

Unread post by Peonies »

Thank you for your reply squintern! I like to hear real-life uses of birth control instead of advertisements and such. That's good to hear that you've had a positive experience with the implant. I am definitely considering it as a method of birth control for me.

Heather - So I have been researching both the implant and IUDs on the Birth Control Bingo page. I like the idea of something being in me and not having to fool with refills or forgetting to take a pill and all that stuff. However, in all honesty I have no trouble taking the pill at all. I am not on any medication that could interfere with it, I have no problems getting my prescription refilled in time and I actually never taken a real late pill (past the 12 hour mark) or missed one in my 4 years of being on the pill. The only time I think my effectiveness was really compromised was when I had a severe stomach flu. So, I would figure my protection to be somewhere between "typical" and "perfect". Plus, I always, always, always back up with condoms. That is a big percentage with just a small statistical risk. I am asking myself if switching to something else with just a slightly higher effectiveness rating is worn it or not? I kind of look at the pill as a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" sort of thing. I have had no bad side effects of the pill and its so easy for me to take. Plus, the pill helps my endometriosis as well as provides pregnancy prevention.

One thing the page on here says about IUDs is that if you have had uterine tumors, it may not be a good choice. I have had a few benign tumors on my uterus as well as a family history of ovarian cancer. Does this mean an IUD would not be a good choice for me?

I realize this is mostly me thinking out loud - or rather writing. :D But your guidance is always so appreciated.
Formerly CraftyKid
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

You'd need to check in with your reproductive healthcare provider about the tumors to be sure, but I'd say you probably DO want to skip an IUD, since you have had them.

I agree that if a given method is working for you very well, and you have access to it, you probably want to stick with it. It's just that the trial of process and error for finding methods that are a good fit can take a while, and trying a bunch of different things, so trying other methods may just mean finding out in the long run that what you were using already was the best fit.

Too, if you're backing up with condoms, and having no issues using your pill properly, you already have about as much protection as you can get.
Peonies
not a newbie

Unread post by Peonies »

Thanks Heather!

You've given me some things to consider and bring up to my doctor in a few weeks. :)
Formerly CraftyKid
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic