Plan B Effect on Menstrual Cycle?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
anon082
not a newbie

Plan B Effect on Menstrual Cycle?

Unread post by anon082 »

This is somewhat a continuation of my first post, to recap, pregnancy risk occurred on March 30th, took Plan B two hours later. Spotting from April 8-11, negative pregnancy test on April 12th. Period from April 13th-17th. I'm not nearly as worried as I used to be after receiving support from my dad and one of my close friends, but today (April 28th) she told me she's certain she's having another period. I was just wondering if this is normal after taking Plan B, and if she's not mistaking this for something like implantation bleeding. Thank you in advance
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Plan B Effect on Menstrual Cycle?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi anon082,

Yes, one of the side effects of Plan B is that it can create irregularity in menstrual cycles.
anon082
not a newbie

Unread post by anon082 »

Sam W wrote:Hi anon082,

Yes, one of the side effects of Plan B is that it can create irregularity in menstrual cycles.
Can I be sure that this bleeding isn't due to some sort of pregnancy symptoms such as implantation bleeding or some other case?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Well, there's a negative pregnancy test and 2 periods after the risk. If that doesn't help you to believe pregnancy didn't happen, I don't know what will. :)
anon082
not a newbie

Unread post by anon082 »

Edith_* wrote:Well, there's a negative pregnancy test and 2 periods after the risk. If that doesn't help you to believe pregnancy didn't happen, I don't know what will. :)
I suppose so, she's had symptoms of a cold for a couple of days. Some people say thats an early symptom of pregnancy so I was worried
Keda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always nice, I just sometimes hide it well
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: Wibbly wobbly sexy wexy

Unread post by Keda »

It's also a symptom of a cold. ;)

One of the reasons why the articles here advise against thinking about "pregnancy symptoms" is that all of them, apart from having several missed periods, are also very common symptoms of other things, and many are also things that just happen randomly like headaches do. So if you're on the lookout for them, you'll always be able to spot "pregnancy symptoms" even in someone who is definitely not pregnant, like the person you're talking about here.
anon082
not a newbie

Unread post by anon082 »

Keda wrote:It's also a symptom of a cold. ;)

One of the reasons why the articles here advise against thinking about "pregnancy symptoms" is that all of them, apart from having several missed periods, are also very common symptoms of other things, and many are also things that just happen randomly like headaches do. So if you're on the lookout for them, you'll always be able to spot "pregnancy symptoms" even in someone who is definitely not pregnant, like the person you're talking about here.
That is true. I know she knows her body better than I do but how can I myself be sure that the bleeding is actually periods?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi anon,
You can't, because it's not your body. However, you can do the next best thing and trust the person whose body it is to know what it's doing (and to know what a period feels like).

Too, if you're finding yourself worried about pregnancy, that's often a sign that you're not totally comfortable with what you're doing, and it might be time to talk with your partner about scaling back the activities to a level where you feel more comfortable with any risks involved.
anon082
not a newbie

Unread post by anon082 »

Sam W wrote:Hi anon,
You can't, because it's not your body. However, you can do the next best thing and trust the person whose body it is to know what it's doing (and to know what a period feels like).

Too, if you're finding yourself worried about pregnancy, that's often a sign that you're not totally comfortable with what you're doing, and it might be time to talk with your partner about scaling back the activities to a level where you feel more comfortable with any risks involved.
She just told me that in addition to the cold symptoms she's been coughing up blood for a few days, which has now ceased, and she's had constant nose bleeds for the past week that haven't gone yet. Should I be worried that this is a sign of pregnancy? Sorry for being so worried about this even though the answer is probably no
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Amanda »

After a negative pregnancy test and multiple menstrual periods, you can be confident that pregnancy is NOT the issue here. But given the troubling medical symptoms, I would recommend medical attention ASAP.

In the meantime, please read this article thoroughly: You're Not Pregnant. Why Do You think You Are?. Often, when people are very concerned about pregnancy, it can be indicative of another underlying issue. Does anything in the article resonate with you?

We truly cannot continually reassure people who suffer with pregnancy anxiety, as research indicates that this creates a dependency on external validation, and actually makes the anxiety worse. So it's best to get to the root of your concerns, and go from there to cope and/or seek help.
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic