Always wondered this...

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Berry124
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Personality
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her, they/them
Sexual identity: 'straight', heterosexual

Always wondered this...

Unread post by Berry124 »

Hope this is on the right page, it is about the body so sorry if it isn't on the right page. I was wondering, how long does an egg last after being released from the ovaries? I have never known the answer and have looked on your period article but I couldn't find anything about it. :ugeek: They never told us any of this when I was at secondary school in my sex ed class and I can't find it anywhere. I just wondered is it 24hrs it lasts for before being absorbed into the body? or is it longer or less?? Just want to know as after all, I should get to know things about the body I live in right?
Thankyou
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Always wondered this...

Unread post by Heather »

Have you looked yet at our piece that explains human reproduction?

Check it out for that information and more: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodie ... production
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Berry124
not a newbie

Thank you this explains a lot :) On thing though, It says in the article "When an egg does get released, that cell starts slowly moving through the fallopian tube (and it is always slowly and gradually moving: it's not just sitting around waiting for sperm cells to call and ask it out)..." it doesn't give a certain time period is this because it's different for other people?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

It is not always the same, no. But for most people, the window for conception with a given egg cell is no more than a few days.

And, of course, without any sperm cells present, all of this is moot anyway because immaculate conception is not real. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Berry124
not a newbie

Oh ok I get it now thank you :)
Berry124
not a newbie

Oh forgot to mention, is it possible for it to take a week to pass along the fallopian tubes and out? Just want to know and read the article which explains ALOT of what I wondered but didn't say specific or average days. Sorry if it's inconvenient me asking these questions but I had a few looks at the article and you guys know all the reproduction, sex ed stuff(and are really good at what you do too :) )
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

It would be helpful to know why you are asking this, especially since that piece on human reproduction really does include all the information that is pertinent to how it happens.

Too, I will be frank: we have set limits with you around pregnancy stuff, and these recent posts feel, to me, a lot like you trying to get around those limits rather than accepting and respecting them. If any or all of this is still about pregnancy scares, it would be a lot more productive, and likely more honest, to just address that and what you have and have not done so far to help yourself with that. As you know, this kind of conversation and focus is the way to stay stuck in obsession, not the way to manage and get past it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic