weird period

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
pineapple123
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a great listener!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: heterosexual

weird period

Unread post by pineapple123 »

Hello!

I've been on the pill (microgestin fe 1/20) for probably 5-6 years, and never really had any issues. I had some spotting when I started it years ago, but that's normal I know. I take my pill at the same time every day, and am good about taking it. I am right now in the middle of a pack of pills (today started week 3 active pills), and a few days ago, my period started. I'm talking full on bad cramps, regular bleeding, and breast tenderness, which NEVER ever has happened since starting BC. During the placebo week, any bleeding I do have is very light without cramps.

I just had my annual OB/GYN appt 2 weeks ago and everything came back clear. I'm almost annoyed because I was telling my Dr. how much I LOVED my BC because I don't have any side effects....

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? Is my BC still effective? Thank you!!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: weird period

Unread post by Heather »

No matter what happened, none of it is an indication that your pill is any less effective. No worries. As well, not sure why you're annoyed with your pills: after all, they haven't failed you! Your menstrual and fertility cycle -- which the pill influences and recalibrates, but doesn't eradicate or erase -- is going to change it up or do some weird things sometimes. It's a super-sensitive, ever-changing system of the body, after all. I don't see that it or your pill did you dirty in any way here (this may not even have anything to do with your pill at all). :)

Breakthrough bleeding or withdrawal bleeds mid-cycle happen sometimes. 5-6 years of never having anything like this happen may have just given you the idea something's necessarily the matter when it does, but it's not. Again, bodies can just be weird.

But by all means, if you want to call into your GYN and get their take on it, that certainly would be fine, and would be something I'd expect someone with access to healthcare to do when something that seems really unusual happens. Your doctor knows your health history, so they're usually the best person to check in with about concerns for your best answers.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic