What is one AWESOME thing your body can do?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: fluid

What is one AWESOME thing your body can do?

Unread post by Onionpie »

We spend a lot of time being told to focus on how our bodies look, or improve what our bodies can't do. We have a thread about the day-to-day things our bodies do that we appreciate. Here's the thread for the things our bodies DO that are totally AWESOME and we're super proud of them! What is your body super good at?

Strangely enough -- my mouth is awesome at playing the saxophone. Say what?! I have always been able to get a really unique tone out of my saxophone, and I started out on The World's Crappiest Mouthpiece, but I've always been able to get an excellent sound even out of that one. My university professor was amazed by my tone, and it is the first thing people notice about my playing. Even some professional saxophone players have asked me how I get my sound. Sorry, you're out of luck, guys! I never consciously did anything about it -- my mouth just naturally makes an awesome sound on the saxophone!

Another cool thing my body does! I have "better than average" depth perception! My eyes see better than yours! 8-)

One last one! I have a pretty strong grip. Because of years playing a big, heavy saxophone, some of the weight goes into my fingers. I also do a lot of gardening, and I like doing intense gardening stuff like ripping up shrubs -- so over the years my fingers have been strengthened and I can pull up even the most stubborn shrubs :twisted:

What about you? What cool things can YOUR body do? It can be either automatic/naturally-occurring (like my mouth or my depth perception!) or it can totally be something you've worked on too, like my strong grip! Try to think of at least one thing that is AWESOME that your body DOES!
Snorkmaiden
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like to help.
Primary language: Dutch
Sexual identity: straight butch

Re: What is one AWESOME thing your body can do?

Unread post by Snorkmaiden »

My body is very healthy and I think that is awesome! I feel utterly lucky to have a body that's fully functional and does not get sick easily. So being healthy is a thing that my body does, and it's awesome!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Most of the physical activities and exercise I've participated in throughout my life, from soccer as a wee tiny Mo to marching band in high school to hiking & cycling now, have involved lower body strength. As a result, my legs are strong and my muscles (most notably my calves, but in my thighs too) are HUGE and awesome. I am not a sprinter but I have a lot of stamina for walking long distances with my mega-power legs.
Peonies
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can raise plants from the dead
Sexual identity: cis female

Unread post by Peonies »

It may be cliche, but I think it is incredible that my body is able to be able to reproduce another human! And that our bodies can heal themselves.
Formerly CraftyKid
bigbywolf
not a newbie
Primary language: English please!
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: Pansexual

ORe: What is one AWESOME thing your body can d

Unread post by bigbywolf »

Mines naturally flexible. I haven't exercised, well, ever, and I can still touch my head with my feet. My fingers are double jointed, too, which makes a fun time for frightening people. Also, this is perhaps only awesome because I like it and it's probably not actually that awesome for anyone else/my long term health, but due to being lanky as hell, I can click my back and neck like nobodies business. (Bonus: my favourite sound to hear is when im sleeping behind my partner nuzzled in their shoulder blades and their shoulderblade clicks a little. Who knows why?!!?!? I just do.)
ratperson
not a newbie

Unread post by ratperson »

My body is great at putting up with pain from two chronic illnesses. Also, as long as I'm laying down/sitting in a quiet place, I can fall asleep pretty quickly. I"m the Sleep Expert of my friends!

My mind is fantastic at drawing conclusions, which can be a double-edged sword, but it's also logical enough that with practice I can draw only reasonable conclusions. :D

My body is great at recalling physical tasks, as long as they're manageable. I have slow reflexes, so catching isn't for me, but if someone in a vet-tech class shows me a blood draw technique or injection or exactly where to find the rumen sound on a cow, I can get it again and again with very little problem!! That's great for a vet tech in training, because being able to do things quickly and accurately minimizes the pain for the animal.

I can also stay relatively in tune with my body. One chronic illness involves digestive organs, and I can tell almost exactly where a specific trigger food is on its way 'through' so I know how to press my abdomen to relieve gas pains or other discomforts. I can guess to a relatively accurate extent when I'll get my period, which is useful.

I'm also lucky because my body craves healthy food (veggies, lean meat, fruit) a lot of the time over 'junkier' food (non-lean meats, excessively fatty food, etc.), and if I'm having a minor nutritional imbalance (not enough fiber or too much starch, for instance), I can tell by what food I'm craving what I need. If I listen to my body, it tells me how to eat and therefore I can relieve some of the GI symptoms from one of my illnesses. :D
bikinksterboy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my willingness to try essentially anything
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bisexual

Unread post by bikinksterboy »

my immune system is amazing. I've eaten so much literal and figurative dirt that i've recovered fairly quickly from nearly every virus and infection i've gotten
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic