Bleeding after losing virginity?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Blahblahblah
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m funny
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Bleeding after losing virginity?

Unread post by Blahblahblah »

4 days ago I lost my virginity. We didn’t use a condom and he just pulled out. I woke up today with brown blood in my underwear. It’s been like that the whole day and hasn’t stopped. It’s not my period because it just ended before we did it. I didn’t bleed at all when we did it but just had brown blood today. I’m a little scared.. am I possibly pregnant or is just from losing my virginity?
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Bleeding after losing virginity?

Unread post by al »

Hi there blahblahblah, and welcome to Scarleteen!

We can't say for sure what's going on, because we're not doctors. Are you in any pain, or do you have any soreness? Have you experienced any other symptoms that are unusual?

It might be as a result of irritation or tearing of the vaginal tissue from sex. It's actually a myth that bleeding or pain is a 'normal' part of the first time they have intercourse - instead, it's usually an indicator that the partner with the vagina wasn't relaxed/aroused/lubricated enough (whether it's your own self-produced lubrication, or store-bought), or the sex itself was too forceful. You can read all about the myths surrounding virginity and the 'first time' in Magical Cups and Bloody Brides: Virginity in Context.

You mention not using condoms, and your partner pulling out. Was that a decision that you both made together? How do you feel about that, and the potential risk for things like pregnancy and/or STIs?
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Xiarodrie
Pronouns: She

Unread post by Xiarodrie »

I'm looking for some people's thoughts/experiences on this. Not too sure what to think.

I've had 2 previous partners, both small, about 3''. Not a problem. I use tampons a lot but never used a dildo, not into "excessive" fingering. I used to swim, ride horses, etc. When I lost my virginity, I never experienced any bleeding, only some pain.

When my current boyfriend and I had sex for the first time, it HURT so much, in the first position. I felt like a "ripping". It hurt MORE than when I lost my virginity years ago. He is 6-7 inches. He was not being very "aggressive" at first and lubrication was not a problem at all. We had done a lot of foreplay, plus oral.

Afterward, I got up to urinate and there was some blood. There was also a little blood in the bed sheet. I determined that the blood was coming from the inner part of my vagina, not "deep down" from the cervical area. I was not on my period. I didn't experience any sort of inflammation or uncomfy-ness, necessarily. Just some blood and that initial PAIN. We continued to have sex a LOT after that, after I cleaned up and it felt great. Still getting used to that "hugeness" but it was really enjoyable.

Is it possible for one's hymen to rupture even AFTER they've had sex before? I'm looking online and can't find much info at all. My boyfriend was a virgin and doesn't have a clue either. I'm told "When you have sex for the first time, you get some pain, maybe bleeding, and your hymen breaks." So how come I have experienced this later?

It's weird to think that by SOME people's definitions, I may have still been a "virgin" until he and I slept together. I felt "down there" and it does feel a bit different. Just a tad.
Blahblahblah
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m funny
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Blahblahblah »

I’m not in any pain and I’m not sore. There is no other symptoms, just constantly bleeding red and brown blood. I was okay with the use of no condom because we are both virgins so I assume he doesn’t have an std.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

So, the hymen is something that gradually -- usually very gradually, to the point it often won't be noticeable to anyone -- erodes over time. It is not something that is usually ruptured or otherwise "broken" at all, and one (or two, or three, etc.) bout of intercourse cannot erode it all all at once, and consensual, wanted intercourse where people are being gentle and using lube won't tend to tear that tissue or any other tissue of the vagina.

That given, yes, even after someone has had intercourse, injury can still happen to that tissue, and it does sound like you may have had that happen with what you're describing, even though, from the sounds of things, you and yours did everything "right" when it comes to safety and such with intercourse.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic