Anal mucus after Anal sex?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Tomatochan
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My art
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/they

Anal mucus after Anal sex?

Unread post by Tomatochan »

About 3 days go, m boyfriend and I tre danal sex for the first time. It was alright, and It didn't really hurt. However, ever since then, I've needed to poop slightly more often and every time I poop, there is anal mucus present on the poop and some extra on the toilet paper afterwards, sometimes in a spot as large as a nickle (the urge to poop every time I sit down has largely diminished and my tush soreness has too however). There looks like here's blood in it/on my poopl too, but I'm on my period and I can't tell if it's from that. I've read some Anal mucus discharge after anal is normal, but what's freaking me out is how long it's persisted. Is it normal for it to have lasted this long? Should or when should I see a doctor? :'(
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Anal mucus after Anal sex?

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there, tomatochan.

This is all likely coincidental, rather than being as a direct result of the anal sex. For instance, anal sex can't change your stool or how often you have bowel movements: that's stuff that starts and operates from the inside out, rather than the other way around, and where your anus is only a through-way in the first place. I'm more inclined to suspect that as is often the case for people who are menstruating, you might just have looser and more frequent stools.

Are you having any kind of pain (separate from any menstrual cramps) or bleeding/spotting from your anus or rectum when you're not having a bowel movement?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Tomatochan
not a newbie

I get slight cramps when on my period and know that being on my period causes me to poop more, but no anal pain or external butt bleeding. I also just got off of broad spectrum antibiotics and have been eating a lot of yogurt, but my period and yogurt has never caused any anal mucus to come out before...
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Ah, the plot thickens! Yep, honestly, it sounds to me like it's probably mostly just a coincidence that you're seeing the changes you are. Unless you worry you injured yourself with anal sex (it would have hurt if you had, it's an area super-full of sensory nerve endings), I'd not sweat this.

I'd just give it another week or so, and if you're having bowel issues then or anything else that concerns you, then it would make sense to me to call (or whatever your providers system is) into your healthcare provider and ask them about it. Of course, you can also do that any time, if you want a second opinion or to play it extra-safe.

The "mucus" you're still seeing could be about any of those factors, or it could in fact be that some lube is still working its way out of your bottom, but if you otherwise feel fine, I don't see anything to indicate that, whatever the source, there's cause for health concern.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Tomatochan
not a newbie

Thank you so much! I tend to get very anxious about sex and heath issues so this one was sort of a double whammy for me, but I feel a lot calmer now that you have explained this. I don't feel any internal pain and discomfort other than my mild period cramps, so I suppose it's not likely I got injured. Thanks again!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I totally understand. I also think anal sex is one of those activities that has been stigmatized so much that a lot of myths have attached themselves to it, so it can be all the easier to figure something went wrong because you may have internalized the idea that something was supposed to, you know?

But in truth, if you're doing the basic things to make it safe and sound -- lots of lube, being careful and gradual, only doing what feels good -- it's no more dangerous or potentially injurious/problematic than vaginal intercourse is.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic